Change the HA owner

Good morning everyone,
since I want to expose the HA using a reverse proxy or something, to increase the security, or at least I want to think so, I would like to change the role of my main user from administrator to normal.
Is it possible?

This is my actual situation:

• “roberto”, is my main user the one I created at first during the installation (administrator and owner)
  • “roberto_admin” is the user I just created just to do changes and it has access only in local.

I tried to remove the administrator badge to “roberto” but the control is disabled. Also, I can’t remove it, because I think it is the owner.

So, is there a way to move the owner to “roberto_admin” and set “roberto” as normal user?

ps. I don’t know if this is the right section to post this question, in case can some admin move it in the right place?
Thanks

There is a file you can change “/config/.storage/auth”
This file has settings for each user in it. Find the section with the user account you would like to be an owner.

Simply change the line "is_owner": false,
too "is_owner": true,

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply,

So I have to stop HA and do these modification …and is it all?

{
        "id": "long_number_and_string",
        "group_ids": [
          "system-users"   # => was  "system-admin"
        ],
        "is_owner": false, # => was  "is_owner": true,
        "is_active": true,
        "name": "roberto",
        "system_generated": false,
        "local_only": false
      },
      {
        "id": "long_number_and_string",
        "group_ids": [
          "system-admin"
        ],
        "is_owner": true,  # => was "is_owner": false,
        "is_active": true,
        "name": "roberto_admin",
        "system_generated": false,
        "local_only": true
      }

indeed, that is all

Thank you :wink:

Hi, how do you get to “/config/.storage/auth” file. I tried to look into file editor and it does not appear.

Ciao, which “release” are you using (os, docker, etc)?

Im running Home Assistant on Raspberry Pi 3, with HAOS installed, Version 11.2

Sorry I don’t have experience with HAos, since I am using docker (and it is easy to access the config files), anyway I think that there is an integration to access the configuration file, I remember a sort of file explorer where you can edit the config from there.

If you can’t find the .storage folder it is because in linux every folder/file that begins with dot is hidden

You might need to configure the file editor to show hidden folders (. in front of a folder / file hides it).

Hi crc-error79 & flskefjes, managed to solve by configuring file editor by removing '“.storage”, Thank you both for your time and replying :pray:

1 Like

Hi, I’m totally new to HA and I don’t understand how to get to “/config/.storage/auth” file with the file editor.

After installing the file editor and starting it, I can’t see the /config when clicking on the symbol for “browse filesystem”. There is only the folder homeassistant/.

How can I get to /config/.storage?

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply!

I’ve changed the configuration, but there is no change (even after restart of HA).

Delete storage in this screen ( press the x)

Thank you very much, now it works!