Change the size of a zone

How can I change the size of a zone please? I can’t figure out how to do that. I seem to be able to move it, and edit some properties. But the size is not editable on the map, nor in the properties dialog.

Looking at documentation about zones it seems different zone sizes oughta be possible. How is this done?

What I’m trying to achieve: I just thought my Home zone should be a bit smaller than half the neighbourhood. I’m not sure if my thinking is correct, but it just seemed odd that a home zone would be that big.

On the Zones page, you should be able to drag the circle by the edge to increase the size. Have a look here

It seems on mine, I cannot change the size of the Home zone, but I can all others. Are you trying to resize the Home zone or a different one?

The radius for the Home zone can’t be changed according to docs.

You can add a zone in the user interface by specifying the GPS coordinates or dragging the icon on the map. You can adjust the zone radius (except for the Home zone) by changing the size of the zone circle.

@hawksj
Yes, the Home zone. It seems big enough for homes in the Australian outback, but I live in a terraced house in Europe, so quite a bit smaller :slight_smile:

@jurasjo
I wonder why the Home zone size can’t be changed. I don’t see explained on that page the purpose of locking the size for the Home zone. Anyone knows which problem HA is solving with this? There must be a rhyme or reason behind it, I reckon.

I assume it’s just about guaranteeing GPS accuracy across a range of mobile device trackers. If they made it much smaller, there would be a degree of error potentially causing false negatives. It could still be customisable but I guess this stops complaints.

In my case, I live in a flat and the zone covers the entire courtyard and the slip road leading up to it, and the nearby offices, so I know where you’re coming from.

If you want more accurate occupancy for when you’re actually IN your home, you might want to combine your zone occupancy with something like a ping sensor to your phone to check if your phone is on WiFi, or door contact sensors/motion sensors for when you’re inside the front door. Give us some info about what hardware you have and what you’re trying to achieve and maybe we can find a solution for you :slight_smile:

Wouldn’t this also be the case for any additional zones? They can indeed be resized perfectly well.

It’s right in the same doc of how to change it:

1 Like

As other people mentioned, you can’t change home zone. In my case I created another zone named Home2 and set it’s radius as I wanted.

No, you can’t change the Home zone from the UI. You can definitely change it through configuration.yaml:

Yeah true, I suppose so. Although the home zone is mandatory unlike custom zones. That’s my best guess anyway :man_shrugging:

Hi,
there is IMHO a way to change the homne zone in the UI.
Go to developer Tools → states (Zustände, sorry I have only german) second from the left next to YAML)
Search for zone.home in the left column (entities) and either add a radius or change it.
At least it accepts the number. I donno what happens with updates of HA, if this is changed back to 100

Looks like

latitude: 45.67890
longitude: 10.123456
radius: 70
passive: false
persons:
  - person.fred_humble
editable: true
icon: mdi:home
friendly_name: Home

thanks
Juergen

Hey
just to be sure those are not actually the coordinates of your home/address right?
If so I probably wouldnt post that in a public forum

And btw your fix/change should only be temporary and overwritten the next time the entity is updated.

Hi @BlackDragon0704 ,
If you assume one of my housemates name is fred.humble, you can safely assume that the coordinates are correct as well.

But yes, it seems to change back. 100m is not the way to change it there.

As others said. 100m radius “home” might be fine in the desert, but is not an idea for overcrowded ares in Europe. I tried an overlapping zone to know when I am really “Home”, but than it seems to be a gable if I am in the home.zone or in the overpapped zone.

I could not change the radius of the home.zone.

thanks for any help
Juergen

You can change it in configuration.yaml as per the docs posted above. You can also do it in customize.yaml.

This is all you need to add if you use customize.yaml. Two lines & you’re done.

zone.home:
  radius: 90

You don’t need to restart all of HA for the change to take effect.
Just go to Dev Tools > YAML tab > YAML configuration reloading > Location & Customisations. Job Done

Hi,
thanks a bunch. After figuring out how to include my brandnew customize.yaml it worked immediately.

many thanks.
Juergen

1 Like

Hi,
another question that might be related to this: I do want to track if I am at home. IMHO the most reliable would be, that if I am connected to my Home SSID, I am “at home”, or “in the zone.home”.
(Reason: If I narrow zone.home too much, I am not recognized in my basement, if I widen it too much, I cannot reliable use “me at home” for automatisation.

Is this something I can add to “me as a person”, or do I have to configure it in the HA APP on my mobile, or how is this solved in the most accurate way?
Or can I add this somewhere in a more sofisticated way as: If in this SSID and "close to zone.home, than set this person tpo “at home”.

I donno if this is the right topic to ask here. If not please hint me to a topic that might help me.

thanks
Juergen

Better to search or create your own topic, but here’s a quick hint.
Settings > People > Click your account > Pick device to track