Change Tuya door sensors with ZigBee ones?

Hello,
I have a dozen Tuya wifi door sensors, which localtuya does not detect and I can’t find a way to add them manually.

I’m now temporarily using them with the official Tuya integration but I really would like to get rid of the Tuya cloud completely sooner or later.

My main use is pretty simple: turn on the light when the door is open and turn it off when the door is closed. I experience an average of 4 second delay between the opening/closing of the door and the lights switching on/off, which I guess is the time the “signal” takes to reach Tuya’s servers and get back. (Am I wrong?)

Anyway, my question is: would getting new ZigBee door sensors improve (i.e. shorten) this delay? I might decide to go that way and spend the necessary money if performance improves but since I have no experience with ZigBee at all I really don’t know what to expect.

I’ve also explored the Tasmota system but tasmotizing all those sensors looks like a tough job and probably not at my skill level.

Thanks

agree !

For the cost of 12 sensors to replace, I would dig into localtuya a bit more. If the smarthome app detects it then you should be able to get the id via adding them to a iot project and then manually add, not sure what you did so far.

The Tuya Smart app detects all the devices, and they work perfectly both with the app and the official Tuya integration, but localtuya doesn’t detect them and I am not able to add them manually. I’ve described what I have done in this topic:

When I try adding the devices manually localtuya says it couldn’t retrieve the DPs. If I feed them manually something goes really awry to the point that the localtuya integration stops working completely.

what does the log say on it?
And forgive me on a possible stupid question…as ‘host’ you did enter the IP of the device, not the server (common mistake)

I am ashamed that I have to confess that I actually have no idea how to access the logs…

Yes, the IP I entered is the one of the device.

I browsed a bit through the issue log and found this from July

As far as i can te that you are trying to add a battery powered door sensor which is not supported by localtuya.

current implementation supports only devices which are awake all the time and motion sensors/door sensors sleep when there is no action and wakes up for couple of seconds to send a message to tuya servers.

Error Door Sensor · Issue #525 · rospogrigio/localtuya (github.com)

And logging is documented on the main page
rospogrigio/localtuya: local handling for Tuya devices (github.com)

So…guess it will not work …dot-end…

EDIT: seems you may be lucky with the ‘normal’ Tuya integration (i.e non-local)

Sure that could be the problem but I read many people here who succeeded in adding those sensors, so I guess it is doable even though not officially supported.

Also, localtuya is not detecting two smart plugs, which should not be affected by the timeout problem

OK, just copied from the developers-te … Suggest to then start with the logging as per the link above
EDIT: I have 4 smart plugs … none detected, all manually added

So basically autodetect only works with switches :smile: