Changing the Home Assistant Brand

I back this change. A good step towards the simplification efforts and eventually home assistant 1.0.
What are the accepted abbreviations? Still Hass and HA? Will Hassio.Local still be the default domain of a new install?

That would only change for new installations as changing it would break current installations. Also, you can change the hostname on the system page in the UI or using the custom cli.

It seems they are not interested in feedback about this change, the decision has been made.

1 Like

I always thought of ā€œHome Assistantā€ as everything under the umbrella, including hass.io, hassbian, etc.
Home assistant is the program that runs our home automations.
I donā€™t see the massive issue with this, but I could be missing something.

As someone who looked into Home Assistant/Hass.io or whatever the hell it is currently called, but didnā€™t understand the naming convention.

Renaming to an already existing name is even more confusing, and to be honest, I had no idea what the different parts were before either.

From an outsiderā€™s perspective, this just made everything much more complicated. Especially now your going to have hundreds of posts and tutorials across the internet using the wrong naming convention thatā€™ll just lead to even more confusion.

6 Likes

Try telling that to new users who followed the out of date videoā€¦

2 Likes

I am in two minds abut this. I went through the xbmc --> kodi rebrand and the feedback from users was grim. However at least it was a complete change in name and followed the ā€œdonā€™t rebrand to a name already out thereā€ rule. (Whose rule is this anyway?)

I think itā€™ll pan out ok, and makes sense. The only thing that will be difficult is all the people reading old posts about the naming differences, and getting it in their head when it is no longer true. For that reason I would have favoured a complete rename/rebrand, but hey it is not my call.

What would you call it is it was a complete rename? The namespace is pretty cluttered - home this, home that, open blah, control that. Coming up with an original name that suits the product is a nightmare. Home Assistant is well known in the market.

Then again so was XBMC, now everyone thinks of it as Kodi.

Sorry about the stream of consciousness.

3 Likes

They follow out of date videos now. The majority of videos go out of date quickly and nothing to do with renaming. Home Assistant is still young.

3 Likes

I agree thoroughly.

Sooo ā€¦ you are rebranding things but wonā€™t mention the chosen names for all things? Only ā€œCoreā€ has been explicitly mentioned, really.

That is a confusing marketing message if Iā€™ve ever seen one. At least provide a chart/table with previous and new names side by side. Right now this post is just adding confusion on top of what was already a chaotic ecosystem of a gazillion subprojects. I donā€™t exactly oppose renaming things to remove ambiguities. The whole project suffers heavily from it, and clarifying whatā€™s what makes perfect sense.

But this is a step not to be taken lightly as you are breaking with everything that the community has so far created around the old names. Especially when reusing a previous name for another part of the platform. Please get an actual marketing person involved on such topics.

2 Likes

If Hass.io were to become Home Assistant OS it would make a lot more sense to me. Ive thought before that it wasnā€™t that obvious from the name that Hass.io and Home Assistant were related.

1 Like

Wow, I think weā€™ll need to archive the entire forum and start from scratch. No existing post will make any sense. RIP

1 Like

As a newbie on hassio, this has made it as clear as mud. If Hassio is the home assistant OS surely just naming it HassOS or Home AssistantOS would make more sense, or just naming it one thing and having an advanced and basic version.

The mere concept for most newbies is daunting enough, I am none the wiser and Iā€™m more confused than I was previously.

As a newbie you will choose between running Home Assistant, or running Home Assistant core.

2 Likes

But there is 2 Home Assistant Core versions, which one do you use and why?

1 Like

2? Still 1, Home Assistant Core, that lives in a single GitHub repository.

1 Like

With 2 different installation methods, Venv and Docker. You are not thinking about it from a new-comers perspective.

1 Like

But they produce exactly the same result. You can install almost any service in docker, but apache is still apache, postfix is still postfix, home assistant [core] is still home assistant [core].

1 Like

You know that I understand that. Others wonā€™t. Questions about versions will persist.

1 Like

Yes, but to help people here on the forum, itā€™s sometimes needed to know how they installed it.
Personally I donā€™t have any problems with the name change, but as others pointed out, I feel like you are only looking at it from the developers perspective (no way meant as an offence), however for me and lots of other awesome people who help out others on a daily basis in this forum, it makes it more difficult to help newbies. In addition we canā€™t reference to other topics where something might have been solved already, because it uses the old naming and can therefore be confusing.

3 Likes