Cheap chinese LED strip control

i bought one of these coz it was cheap and i thought had built in RF controller - it does not!

Does anyone know of a way to control it via HAS, if i plug it into the Pi USB for example?

Assuming you bought the 3 key one then without taking the “keyboard” apart no as the usb is for power only, I have 2 of the other type they clearly state they are RF and they work well with the broadlink pro.

doh!

ok, i actually have a RF controller, but it has only live and negative input and output?

So you have the one with the 17key remote? If yes then it does have an RF controller inside the USB connected device, the USB cable is for power only. The remote is an RF remote and it works fine with a broadlink pro. So I got my broadlink to learn the buttons on the remote and then I use it to control the LEDs via HA. The only problem I found with them is that things like pilight, rcswitch and telldus do not recognise the code from the remote but the broadlink pro does :slight_smile: Maybe I don’t understand what you are saying, what RF controller do you have?

No, I have the cheapest one, the mini 3 key usb version.

I have one of these, no idea if its of any use at all…

there are only 2 wires, no earth or neutral so not sure how id wire it to power? (im in UK)

not with HASS, but there is a program for windows (maybe also for a pi3) to make it like Philips ambilight, check google for ambilight clone

1 Like

The one with the picture you wire one end to power and the other to a particular type of LED strip, which type of strip depends on the chip used in the controller. When you bought it, it should specify which type of LEDs it can control. In that one the rf controller and the LED controller are inside the unit. You wire up same as any two wire appliance (a laptop only has two wires from the power brick to the laptop as does every psu for your phone, since they are all 5v or 12v dc). That one looks like a two wire LED controller so one of the simpler ones that only does a single colour and on/off/brightness and probably a few flashing modes.

The other one is only any good for switching manually or you could control it via an arduino if you can take it apart and wire it to the arduino, but I probably wouldn’t advise that :stuck_out_tongue:

You need to get an LED driver which will do 240v to 12v conversion. Which one depends on you power requirements.
The device you show picture then connects inline between the driver and your LED strip.
I assume its white only not RGB LED strip since the device pictured is only controlling one channel (white).

!! DONT connect this to mains :slight_smile: You’ll see smoke !!

You could go for something like this if you need wifi:

Need to find one that is compatible with HA.

Thanks for the help and sorry for my slow reply.

I actually already have a 240-12V transformer.

Is this ok to use?

The LED strips say 5V?

The output from the LED controller should be 5v but you may want to check with a multimeter, this is assuming that your 240-12v transformer is 12dc of course.

the transformer i have is AC, 240 - 12V

ive very crudely connected it up and the LED strip will work if i connect directly to the transformer, but it seems to make a buzzing noise…presumably this is a warning sign?!

Is it 12dc? if not do not connect it.

12v AC

Here’s a link to some photos

It’s not currently connected.
So I need a new transformer?
Any links would be appreciated

You need a 240v ac to 5/12/24v dc transformer capable of 12Amps, tho’ that depends on the number of leds you are powering, I suggest you do an ebay search for 12v 12A dc transformers and do a google search on wiring leds or look on youtube. I’m surprised you haven’t either caused a fire or blown the led controller!

Ok I have got myself a LED power supply, as seen in the photo.
I guess now I just need an led controller? And can put the RF remote receiver inbetween them?
Or can I connect LEDs direct to power supply?

be carefull with that power supply.
it is only 830 mah, and cheap light strips often use a lot more!

it has an overload protect, so thats at least good, but still it can get pretty warm if you use it at max or more power.

What should I look for on the LEDs to tell me 8f it’s safe?

It depends on number of LEDs per meter, and the length you use

http://www.ecolocityled.com/category/led_tutorials_power

Some good info here.

My plan is to run 3 groups of led all from one controller. Total length would be just over 1.5 metres. Spec states 30 leds per metre.