Cheap solution for diy 433Mhz receiver usb dongle

I’m thinking of adding 433mhz capability to my HA setup.
I have a couple of 433mhz car door remotes with 4 buttons that I would like to use to turn on/off lights and stuff. Similar to this:

I saw the Sonoff RF Bridge and also another similar devices. But I was thinking of building my own.

I’ve seen the combination of esp8266 and C1101 module. But as I understand it, that is 433mhz => WiFi => HA only.
Is there a similar diy solution that can be connected via USB instead of WiFi? The longer I’m in the smart home scene, the more I detest WiFi devices.

In short, I’m looking for a DIY 433mhz to MQTT solution that is connected by USB to the HA host machine. And not by WiFi.

Get an RTL-SDR stick and install the following addon. I prefer the Nooelec sticks.

This thread will walk you through it:

1 Like

Thanks. Googling for RTL-SDR dongles made me suddenly remember I still have one of these lying around in a box somewhere:

€ 17,86 24%OFF | Digital Satellite DVB-T2/T DVB-C USB 2.0 TV Tuner Stick HDTV Receiver with Antenna Remote Control USB TV Dongle for Windows PC
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EwloHXH

I’ve bought it 7-8 years ago to watch DVB-C TV on my laptop.

Mine has the identical casing as the one in the alie link. But of course that doesn’t guarantee it’s the same hardware. How could I figure out if it’s usable for this purpose?

Car remotes will likely use rolling codes and therefore be extremely difficult to get set up.

Good point. Didn’t think of that.
I guess I’ll experiment a little with it, when I get a receiver working in HA.

Installed the addon, but the dvb-t stick I have is in a storage container in one of 20+ boxes. Next time I’m there I’ll have a look.

Thanks so far for directing me in the right direction.