Cheapest option to turn on a closet light with a switch outside the closet

Thanks for the thoughts!

I had Hue bulbs and a v2 hub, and I really liked the integration I had with SmartThings, Alexa, and HA. I returned it to try out options that didn’t require the additional hub and currently am using Cree Connect bulbs (offhand I think they’re Zigbee?) that connect to my ST hub. The Cree bulbs work pretty well, but they do a flicker thing and aren’t in sync when they turn on/off or dim up/down while the Hue bulbs had no weird flicker and they synced their on/off based on the groups I created. I’m leaning hard toward going back to Hue but I really really hesitate due to “vendor lock-in”.

I definitely have stayed away from most of the cheap China bulbs for the exact reason you mentioned.

Remove switch and cover with blank (light always ON)
Use ceiling mount motion activated switch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L7CORS0/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490294099&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=mini+motion+sensor&dpPl=1&dpID=41go-WNO4gL&ref=plSrch

I have a similar setup & I solve this issue by just flipping the switch as well in the automation.

You can also set up a secondary automation that watches to see if the lights and switches don’t match, and then corrects it if so.

Yeah, that caveat was based on smart light with a dumb switch.