Cheapest option to turn on a closet light with a switch outside the closet

Hi!

I’ve eyeballed various Z-Wave switches, smart bulbs, PIR Z-Wave sensors, and Zigbee/Z-Wave contact sensors while looking for options to get my closet light to automatically turn off when the light gets accidentally left on. I’m not married to any specific idea or way to do this, but getting the light to turn off automatically at some point would be a win. I thought about getting one of those timer switches, but I keep falling into the territory of price (~$20-$25 on the low end) where I might as well go a few dollars more for a solution that integrates with my home automation running HA on a Pine64 and also uses a SmartThings Hub <-> MQTT, and then I put the project off another month :smiley:

So, here I am wondering if others have found low cost (less than $20 ish) methods for automating closet lights?

Thanks for any thoughts!
-Chad

If you have z-wave available - https://www.amazon.com/GoControl-Z-Wave-Dimmable-Light-LB60Z-1/dp/B00PJH16UC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490201609&sr=8-1&keywords=zwave+light+bulb

Just create an automation to check how long the light has been in the on state. If it’s been too long turn it off.

EDIT: I guess I should have read the title more closely.

Whoa, that’s great, thanks! Any chance this comes in warmer colors? :slight_smile:

Unfortunately not a lot of options for the GoControl lights. Probably why they’re much cheaper than other brands.

One caveat to doing this way too, if you forget to turn the light off, and HA turns it off. The next time you go to manually turn it on you will have to flip the switch/pull the string twice to turn the light back on.

Oh yeah, good point. Which might make a case to stick a motion sensor inside the closet, but then I’m back at the higher price territory. Hmmmm… Definitely getting me closer though, thank you!

To work around that caveat you could work the light from HA on your phone.

If you can get your budget to around $40. You could do a door switch and smart light.

Setup the light to turn on/off when the door is opened/closed. You can also automate turning the light off if you forget to close the door.

https://www.amazon.com/Ecolink-Intelligent-Technology-Operated-DWZWAVE2-ECO/dp/B00HPIYJWU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490203150&sr=8-2&keywords=zwave+door+sensor

Thanks! I was going down that route at one point, but then ~$40-$45 puts me back in Z-Wave Switch territory. Or even with a Zigbee version, I could also track power usage:
https://www.amazon.com/GE-Wireless-Lighting-Control-12722/dp/B0035YRCR2
https://www.amazon.com/GE-ZigBee-Monitoring-Certification-45856GE/dp/B019HTH2A0

When I start to approach $30, it feels like diminishing reasons to use a smart bulb + some kind of smart sensor (Z-Wave PIR, Contact, etc.) With a smart bulb ~$20, and the cheapest Z-Wave PIR I can find ~$15 (depending on how you breakdown the package deal cost per item):
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Iris-Home-Automation-Pack/999929892

Thanks!!
-Chad

True. Yeah, that’s one bad thing about this hobby, it’s not cheap. I know there are lots of cheap diy solutions out there to do some of the same things but I have a wife and most of those solutions are not always pretty, even talking about home automation gets her eyes rolling!

Good luck man, hope you come up with a good solution. Maybe someone else will jump in with some ideas. Post back what you end up doing.

Cheers
Mike

1 Like

I wonder if your wife knows mine, they sure sound alike :grin:

I stopped by Lowe’s and they just happened to have the GE Z-Wave switches on sale this week! Woohoo!! $28!

https://m.lowes.com/pd/GE-Iris-Single-Pole-3-Way-White-Light-Switch/999913765

Don’t you think it’s a bit overkill, a cheap toggle switch attached to the door (hinge side) would be enough and probably only cost a couple of quid/dollars and needs no programming or computers/wifi etc to work. :stuck_out_tongue:

I stopped by Lowe’s and they just happened to have the GE Z-Wave switches on sale this week! Woohoo!! $28!

Awesome. Nice find.

Definitely seems like overkill :grin: But with something like this, would I need to run additional wiring through my wall?

Turns ON manually, Off after time (5-30 min based on setting)
Motion On/Off optional

Lutron Maestro Motion Sensor switch, no neutral required, 250 Watts Single-Pole, MS-OPS2-WH, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005WM3ALC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_6S70ybDV9M1FW

Find the simplest on/off Zwave wall switch to replace what is there. (<$25 on eBay) Automate it to turn of x minutes after turning on.

Yes you would need an additional wire to either the switch or the light, but you could use external conduit or run it thru’ the wall depends how your wall is built, it would still be more WAF than any automation. Also there is probably still going to be wiring at the switch or batteries for sensors, I suppose it depends what zwave equipment you have or can afford to buy, personally I find zwave very expensive. If you can find something that replaces the ceiling rose or a zwave/wifi bulb that would be easiest :slight_smile: coupled with a motion sensor.

Thanks! I saw something similar to this that I was about to grab when I saw the Z-Wave paddle switch on sale for $28. The timer switch makes a lot of sense, but since I was already at $20 for the timer switch, $8 more to add it to HA via Z-Wave made enough sense to go ahead with that option. Normally those paddle switches are ~$38, in which case I would have grabbed the timer switch because almost double the cost for a closet switch is difficult for me to accept.

GE Zwave switches and dimmers work good with open zwave and have wide compatibility with hubs.

They do not change config options with new product so compatibility seems to extend from past to new versions and I assume to future.

If you go with bulbs get hue. They are network safe and you can get bulb for $15.

Some people by the $5 bulb but unless you plan to block their Network access don’t do it

Thanks for the follow up! I’m intrigued by this setup, but I think the external wires would have less WAF than an automation solution. In the case of the Z-Wave paddle switch swapping out the existing “dumb” paddle switch, I think it’s a win since she can just tap the switch without knowing/caring that if she doesn’t tap it to shut it off that it will automatically turn off.

I suppose determining optimal situations for shutoff might increase WAF, a 10 minute timer might annoy someone who plans on spending 30 minutes in the closet (organizing files, etc). I’m probably in a more unique situation with this particular closet as well since it has spring hinges that automatically close the door, so a solution that involves turning on the light when the door is open and off when it is closed wouldn’t work without some additional timer involved. In HA I could create something that does:

"if bedroom light = on (if closet light = on, continue; else closet light = timer_off)"

and have timer_off as an automation script that starts a timer to shut the light off. This would work if it wasn’t light outside since the bedroom light would be turned on/off. So then maybe for daytime:

"if sun = above horizon AND bedroom_motion = inactive (if closet light = on, closet_light = timer_off)"

Any thoughts on these options?

Thanks!