Chilling story about Garadget / cloud-dependent IoT

Garadget’s creator didn’t like review on Amazon, blocks user from service, essentially bricking device.

1 Like

I think the biggest lesson from this is that devices that rely on 3rd parties server for communication and basic function are a huge point of failure and sometimes a network/IT security risk.

IOT is fun until Company G’s or Company A’s server goes down or is compromised and prevents you from leaving the garage. (Or a company rep gets pissed and shuts you off)

I prefer products that need only Local Network connectivity to perform their basic function.(or work manually when required)

2 Likes

Reading the story, I have little sympathy for the user’s position, he behaved like an ass.

But equally true that relying on someone else’s web servers to stay up for the life of your house is dangerous in the extreme.

http://installers.velux.co.uk/V-GB/Installers.nsf/KLF%20100%20-%20451719-0109.pdf?OpenFileResource

Have a look at the above two links it appears that this will give the control of 5 groups and up to 200 devices.

so bedroom windows 1 group bedroom roller shutters a 2nd group and so on.

I have just ordered one so will let you know how I get on - it is very very new to market so make sure you get the KLF 200.

Hey @Pete69
Where did you order your KLF 200?
I can’t seem to find any online.

where are you? I am in the UK so ordered from Jewson - a builder merchant 110GBP

These are very new I can only find the proper instruction manual in German - the link I posted was for the old version KLF 100

You need KLF 200

file:///Users/peterdavenport/Downloads/454070-2016-10%20(1).pdf

1 Like

@Pete69 I’m also in the UK. Would you mind posting a link to the page where you ordered your velux KLF 200?

Hi I ordered mine from Jewson builders merchant 7 day lead time but you can get them on line from

The pic is of the old one the new one far nicer but as long as it is KLF200 you will be good

1 Like

i cant stand cloud dependent products. having said that, i own this product that works with my alarm system
https://www.amazon.com/Envisalink-EVL-4EZR-Security-Interface-Honeywell/dp/B016WQTJ4S/
it worksgreat with HA. but im curious if Envisalink server shuts down, would HA still work properly?

I think this’ll continue to work. At least with HA. It can be directly subscribed-to. Not sure if there’s an authorization layer that goes through Eyez-on. I’ve had one of these for years. Very stable. Access to motion and door sensors from my hard-wired system has been wonderful.