Chip / Matter support (including Thread)

@sparkydave That is just typical of Philips / Signify. They don’t like playing nicely with others.

I have only found this thread today and maybe I am less pessimistic than some. Given the Zigbee Alliance is now renamed to the Connectivity Standards Alliance and are parth of the CHIP - Now MATTER, development community I think this will be more standardised than many think.
There will always be companies like Philips that will not play ball nicely, but I think this is a step forward. This is kind of how WiFi and going back further a bit, modem standards started. Who remembers the 56k battle with US Robotics having their own standard separate to the V90/V92 standards… Maybe I am old :slight_smile:
Applications, like Home Assistant do need to keep up with industry and have support, hence why I am voting for this. If I knew enough about coding Python I’d write support, but the best I can do is support the project by paying the monthly subscription to Nabu Casa so they can keep paying their core staff.

6 Likes

@mobile.andrew.jones

Isn’t this what Home Assistant has been trying for years lol :slight_smile:
Finally Google, Amazon and Apple try catch up to Home Assistant.

2 Likes

Just what I was thinking :slight_smile:
In the best possible case, it will have the interoperability of HA without the learning curve and occasionally breaking integrations. I suspect it won’t exactly reach that apex for reasons I’ve already mentioned.

Google just announced that they are fully committed to supporting Matter on their Smart Home Developer Summit, so I think it will be beneficial if Home Assistant supports it too in the near future.

7 Likes

Listening to the amber announcement, and recent release parties I have 0 doubt matter support will be there.

2 Likes

Why doesn’t Home Assistant join the development of Matter and the alliance that develops this standard?

4 Likes

Because of the costs ?

Membership Benefits at a Glance

Promoter $105,000 USD/yr
Participant $20,000 USD/yr
Adopter $7,000 USD/yr

4 Likes

Adopter $ 7,000 USD / yr not expensive, please start a fundraiser. It would be great if donations could be attached directly to a specific topic. It would be great to accelerate the development of open protocols.

2 Likes

As ‘adopter’ you won’t get documentation until Matter is released to public. The only thing you get is “You can find everything you need at GitHub”. Besides that you need to pay fee ($2,000) per product to certify, but I don’t know how that works a product like Home Assistant. If you want to ‘join the development of Matter’, you have to be at least an ‘participant’.

I don’t know if this is the real reason why Home Assistant/Nabu Casa didn’t join the CSA. It would be cool to see an official reason.

3 Likes

I wrote to CSA https://csa-iot.org/ YouTube to make it Free membership for opensource system. It would be great if everyone not indifferent would write to them on a page on a social network, for example.

+1 for Nabu Casa fundraiser for Matter support on “Home Assistant Amber” / “Home Assistant Yellow”.

Alternatively, try to get Silabs to sponsor Nabu Casa as part of Silicon Labs IoT Accelerator program which “Home Assistant Amber” / “Home Assistant Yellow” is a part of via the Crowd Supply campaign:

https://www.crowdsupply.com/silicon-labs/iot-accelerator

https://www.crowdsupply.com/silicon-labs/iot-accelerator

Could at least get a foot in for Nabu Casa which might get the CSA alliance to consider Home Assistant.

3 Likes

Ultimately it is up to the Home Assistant core team if they want to join any alliance or not. Starting a fund raiser on here or saying a certain amount is not expensive for what is still still a free and open source project is way outside of what we should be calling for.
Nabu Casa was created to pay some core staff to work on Home Assistant sure, but it is not a big company making lots of money. The people paying for Nabu Casa Cloud pay for those core staff and there is not much left over.
It is just really the same as asking anyone on GitHub to pay $7000 a year when they make virutally no money off their project.
With that said, I am pretty sure the core team have looked at all the alliances, Z-Wave, Matter and whatever other ones are around. Might be best to contact them directly and ask what the status is. You may find it is already on the road map. They have already stated, with Home Assistant Yellow, that it can be updated to support Matter.

Let’s keep some realism here. Home Assistant is a free, open source project. It is not like SmartThings or Philips Hue. Yes, functionally it is better, but most development is still done by volunteers. If you want to donate $7000 a year to Nabu Casa / Home Assistant, I am sure they will take it and listen to your suggestions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Talking again about what really Matters :slight_smile:… Looks like this can be a good starting point for an HA integration: connectedhomeip/src/controller/python at master · project-chip/connectedhomeip · GitHub
I would like to take a look to the library an make some tests using ESP32 running as a Matter device

2 Likes

Looks interesting. You would need a ZigBee radio to properly test Matter. I have seen a couple that can connect to an ESP32, but can’t recall now where I saw them.
The project you linked to looks fairly active. It could be work well as a base library for an integration.

Following up on the nRF52840 chip mentioned earlier. There is a USB dongle with case with that chip integrated (Seeed Studio NRF52840) that could be plugged right into my Raspberry Pi 4 where I have HA running.
From the previous posts it’s not clear to me if this USB dongle will work right away today, or if we’re still talking about future support/functionality.
I could also imagine just be using the Zigbee component of it for now as bridge and then use Thread once it’s supported by HA.

Please bear with me if this should have been obvious from previous posts - I’m still relatively new to HA.

The ESP32-H2 chip has been certified with Matter and Thread.

Texas Instruments, Nordic and Silicon Labs have solutions as well.

And the software implementations are open source-
Matter repository- GitHub - project-chip/connectedhomeip: Matter (formerly Project CHIP) is creating more connections between more objects, simplifying development for manufacturers and increasing compatibility for consumers, guided by the Connectivity Standards Alliance (formerly Zigbee Alliance).
OpenThread (Google) repository- https://openthread.io/

3 Likes

There seams to be a python controller api build into the reference implementation of Matter. Have a look at https://github.com/project-chip/connectedhomeip/blob/6103a693e80f6b8c07e19eaea36fd28152433d0a/docs/guides/python_chip_controller_building.md and https://github.com/project-chip/connectedhomeip/tree/master/src/controller/python/chip .

For someone who already developed a integration this should be relatively simple to integrate.

Is anyone working on this integration?

Wondering if it would not make sense to base it on code from Home Assistant’s ZHA integration?

I believe that even though Matter/CHIP uses higher application-level architecture that rely on other IP-based protocols for communication, it still shares many common attributes and properties with Zigbee.

Not got the skills myself but it would maybe make sense to repurpose the ZCL implementation from zigpy and zha-device-handlers/zha-quirks libraries as a dependency for a new Matter/CHIP integration as the zigpy libraires are primarily maintained by Home Assistant’s ZHA integration devs?

We know Matter/CHIP was actually created with inspiration from the Zigbee specifications as its application layer is based on the ZCL (Zigbee Cluster Library) specification as the Matter/CHIP protocol uses Zigbee Cluster Library protocol which defines common means for applications to communicate.

https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/nordic/nordic-blog/b/blog/posts/connected-home-over-ip-sneak-peek-of-early-development-on-nrf52840

https://github.com/project-chip/zap

Just curious if decs could reuse zigpy libs as ZCL (Zigbee Cluster Library) for a Matter implementation?

Way too much debate over what’s an open standard, but I’ll weigh in ….

The big kahunas are what will make it work. Suddenly devices will be able to work on hundreds of millions of Apple, Amazon, Google hubs already in peoples houses, and billions of mobiles already in people’s pockets. Who can pass up a market that sized?

This should be two potentially separate requests:

1. The existing HomeKit bridge is fantastic and hugely increases the WAF in my house. Suddenly anyone can talk to Siri to control things. Let’s get a similar Matter bridge going! Many households are mixed, and it would be even higher WAF if suddenly people could also talk to Alexa or Ok Google to control things (I haven’t looked into those integrations yet). It shouldn’t matter what voice assistant you prefer but we know less technical people want to use a voice assistant or their favorite phone or watch app. At the same time, a Matter bridge could eventually replace somewhat duplicate work for the three individually.

2. Application hub, I don’t know what you’d call it, but HA has always been fantastic with including everything, being open. As Matter devices and border routers come out, let’s also support them. HA has the advantages of diversity and the long tail of existing devices. This is just one more integration for HA to be the one hub to rule them all

3. Ok, the more I think about it, this could also spawn many smaller feature requests to implement the common data model of Matter, for existing devices

1 Like