Choosing a bridge: OpenZWave/qt-openzwave vs. OpenZWave/Zwave2Mqtt

Could someone point me at the document/discussion around the HA teams selection/evaluation of qt-openzwave vs. zwave2mqtt please?

Thanks much!
-Randy

I don’t have that info. All I know is that the guy who built openzwave is making qt-openzwave. So that’s probably the driving reason.

Most of the discussion happened on Discord. We opted for the qt-openzwave route because it is maintained directly by the OpenZWave lead developer and ties in directly to OpenZWave, whereas Zwave2mqtt is a nodejs wrapper on top of OpenZWave maintained by someone else. I believe the plan is for qt-openzwave to be the base for the new official OpenZWave control panel as well, so it should be kept up to date a lot better than Zwave2mqtt.

3 Likes

Thanks Petro and Charles for the explanation. It sounds like the decision was pretty straightforward and I am very much looking forward to this much needed decoupling. Do we know if the Zwave2mqtt dev(s) are getting behind qt-openzwave (Petro, you mentioned that you thought Zwave2Mqtt would be deprecated at some point after after qt-openzwave is released)? I personally like the idea of everybody getting behind a single solution, but I suppose some competition isn’t bad either (don’t know if that is the case in this instance).

regards

I’m only making assumptions based on rumors. Nothing concrete.

Yup, understood.

I’m hoping that other stakeholders might chime in here and hopefully we can build something more concrete.

regards

1 Like

oh damn i just got z-wave2mqtt running. i tried qt-openzwave but i run into trouble … in what channels i should ask questions in discord? sooo many channels :frowning:

1 Like

I just did the same. I switched from the native z-wave implementation to zwave2mqtt. Now I’ve learned about qt-openzwave and not sure where I should go from here.

I dunno if i do something wrong but at the moment qt-openzwave in hass feels very incomplete

because it’s in beta…

Yes damn… I am using zwave2mqtt now and wondered why is was “old” (the addon). Even asked frenck on github how to update it myself but had to wait for maintenance release…

Edit: if I run hass core with addons how can I get qt-zwave2mqtt as addon?

Zwave2MQTT is not purely a Home Assistant solution. It can be used on many platforms. It will likely remain as an fully maintained option, but may not be as upto date as QT-OZW as it relies on the JS Wrapper to be updated.
The new integration @cgarwood is presenting is for the official Home Assistant solution.
Like Zigbee2MQTT, Zwave2MQTT project is standalone and separate from Home Assistant.

Personally I hope it is maintained as there are a few use cases for it, but I could understand if QT-OZW eventually fills its spot…

@sender
In Home Assistant 0.110 beta (and the full version when released hopefully) the QT-OpenZwave is available as an add-on from the Supervisor Add-on panel. It should be available the same way other add-ons are from 0.110 onward.

@Brandan, thank you. If it is this way we also need to rely on the “update-frequency” of @frenck to the add-ons in order to have them up-to-date. Hence… this is the issue for me as well for the current zwave2mqtt add-on (not so up-to-date).

@sender I have a feeling, given it will become the official way to get Z-Wave into HA, that @frenck will maintain it quite well. He is pretty good at maintaining the other add-ons and he is on the Nabu Casa payroll :slight_smile:
Ican’t speak for zwave2mqtt. I have a feeling there are other issues keeping that from being fully updated

So this:

will be the new official home assistant QT-zwave2mqtt add-on?

with OZW1.6 and fully “integrated” in HA?

@sender That is what I understand from the discussions on The Future of Z-Wave in HA - QT-OpenZWave
This is available in 0.110 beta.

Edit: As a note, the founding developer of OpenZWave is also working with the HA team on this integration.

1 Like

Ok 110 is here.

2 questions:

1. I uninstalled zwave2mqtt add-on but in the left menu bar the menu item is not gone:
    any tip to get that away there?

2. I installed openzwave add-on.
    then I installed the integration:

In the add-on I cannot add my usb zwave stick:

What’s wrong there?

I had a quick look at qt-openzwave. Up til now my home assistant is a simple pip virtenv based install (on a gentoo server).
To go the qt-openzwave route will be quite a bit more work. I will either have to install docker, which is possible but adds complexity to the server, or manually compile and install qt-openzwave which will be a lot of work to maintain. :frowning:
I think I’ll stick with the current default ZWave integration for as long as possible since it works fine.

It is on hold at the moment, but there are definitely moves to deprecate the non-supervisor methods for installing Home Assistant, so it might be worth looking at docker.
That said, check out the thread “The future of Z-wave in HA” as I am sure some in there are using virtenv installs and able to use this, though it may be a little more work to get it running.
I have a feeling, long term, the Home Assistant developers want to standardised Home Assistant to be one install method to make it easier to maintain, but who knows how long it will be before they do this.
There are no plans to deprecate the OZW 1.4 integration that is currently in HA, but do note the new integration uses OZW 1.6 and this does have a lot of new features and fixes, not to mention that the QT-OZW is a native OZW approach and bypasses the python wrapper for OZW.
It is a work in progress though :slight_smile: