Choosing an installation method for NUC

I can do that just fine too. :wink:

Sorry if this isn’t really the place for it but I have just started trying to get Ubuntu Server installed on my NUC that I just bought. I updated the BIOS and created a bootable USB drive with the ISO image on it. When the NUC boots a menu comes up and I select ‘install Ubuntu server’, the USB drives LED flashes for a bit and then stops… no output on the HDMI after that initial menu. Any suggestions?

Did you use Etcher or Rufus or something similar to make your USB device?

I used Rufus, following this tutorial

Try DD mode. I have never used ISO mode successfully

Sorry, I’m not familiar with that. What is DD mode?

When you try to write the ISO to USB it literally prompts you to use ISO mode or DD mode. Select DD mode, despite what the tutorial says.

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#7

ah ok. trying it now :crossed_fingers:

Unfortunately I got the same result. After selecting ‘install ubuntu server’ the HDMI output stops (I get a no signal message on the screen), the USB stick LED flashes for a while then stops. Nothing else after that…

EDIT: so out of curiosity I unplugged the HDMI cable and put it into output 2 on the NUC…found the install menu…WTF

Next hurdle: the SSD doesn’t seem to show up when the installer asks which disk partition to Install on… Time for bed, I’ll take another look in the morning

make sure BIOS/UEFI is enabling the SSD as AHCI.

The BIOS setting for the SATA slot is AHCI but I don’t see any evidence of the SSD being detected at all

BIOS doesn’t detect it?

Not that I can see. No listing for a drive with the capacity details etc. If I plug the SSD into my laptop via a USB adaptor, it seems to be functioning fine

That seems like a bad SATA port or something

well thats not good…it only has one

I just poppoed the NUC open again and found a tiny cable unplugged…plugged it in the only place it could fit (not a SATA cable) and now the SSD shows up. Things are looking up!

1 Like

Probably power?

I’m guessing so. I didn’t notice it had come out when I put the SSD in :man_facepalming: