Choosing an installation method for NUC

Hello, I recently purchased an Intel NUC and I still hesitate between which installation method I will choose.

On my current PC (debian) I tried two methods:

I know that these 3 methods work but I would like to know in terms of performance (if any) which of the 3 is the best ?
I guess the python v-environment ?

Cordially.

There should be no discernable difference in performance between Python venv and docker.

Don’t forget, you can also install home assistant in docker (not hassio) if you like.

Thanks :slight_smile: Yes, I think I’ll go to either Docker + HA or just Python Venv.
Installing “add-ons” without Hass io is not too complicated ?

Edit
Apparently it is not possible :

With Python Venv you dont have any kind of limitation when using custom components, python scripts and/or shell scripts. I’m not sure about the docker method. What happens when you use a custom component which needs non-default python libraries?

It’s not possible to use the add-ons directly but every add-on is based on an application that already exists for some purpose. You can replicate the FUNCTIONALITY of them with some work.

It downloads the deps to a directory in your config and uses them. I’ve not had any issues with this in my testing

Yes I know that I can for example install a mqtt broker or node red and have them communicate with HA.

I had rather in mind the “add-on” that modify the front end such as the configurator or IDE.

Edit
In fact my question is stupid, if it’s useful for me to have an IDE and a configurator ‘built’ into HA, I just use Hass io 

They don’t modify the front-end - they are just docker containers. You can add anything to an iFrame so it displays in the side panel - eg I have portainer there but I have never used the portainer addon - even though there is one now.

This doesn’t make sense

I misspoke. The fact that English is not my native language must also play a role.
Just like the fact that I’m just discovering the world of HA and how it works.

When I talk about “modifying the front end” I’m talking about the extra menus that appear in the hassio tab and the hassio tab itself. I thought it was like in a Node.js app (even if it has nothing to do) where we add a link and a route that points to javascript and adds a feature.

But indeed, when I install the configurator a new docker container is created, and as I also discover docker and I’m not yet well understood its purpose / operation it is possible that it is for that that I have says idiocy.

In any case, thank you for guiding me when choosing the method of installation.

By cons, flamingm0e, I have often seen this kind of answers from you, quite dry and brittle when I read the forum. To answer “it does not make sense what you say” in a forum of mutual aid is not very constructive. I mean, that additional explanations after this kind of answers would have been perhaps more appreciated, without rancor.

2 Likes

If I don’t understand it, I will say it doesn’t make sense. How else should I convey that it doesn’t make sense to me? What words do YOU think I should use?

There is another option: install Hassio straight onto your NUC. There is a beta/dev version for NUC available I believe. It has not been officially released yet.

I just ordered a NUC so looking forward to seeing what will be best so I can have both HassIO and some sort of CCTV recording software running on it. I’m guessing that my best option is to install Ubuntu with Docker? Put HassIO in one container and the CCTV software in another? It will be a massive learning curve as I have ZERO experience with either Ubuntu or Docker.

Why Ubuntu? I did a full write-up for using Hass.io on a NUC with Debian and Docker here if you’re interested. You could use it for Ubuntu as well if you wanted but really curious why you picked it.

1 Like

I would pick it for a more up to date set if repos. Debian is great and all but damn their repos are lagging behind. If you’re going to switch to test repos, then might as well switch to Ubuntu

Gotcha. I guess it depends on what you want to use it for.

for record, I’ve got a NUC running ubuntu 16.04 LTS (I have a some VMs running which don’t like 18), and have hass running direct in vENV

Mainly because of the CCTV software I am looking at. Ubuntu ‘seems’ to be more common but perhaps that’s just my lack of Linux knowledge showing. To be honest I really don’t know one from the other as I have never used either of them.

1 Like

Well, I prefer a more updated kernel, and any software for managing the host OS I prefer to have more recent versions and semi-regular updates.

I hate when I get on a Debian box and see my favorite packages aren’t available, or versions are different between them and my Ubuntu servers.

I used to be in the “only run Debian” camp, until I started wanting to run current software. Ubuntu is straight up solid. I have Ubuntu servers at work that I hadn’t rebooted in over 2 years, until I had to migrate from Hyper-V to VMWare. Now those VMs won’t be rebooted again until I am forced to upgrade from 1604. My entire Rancher 1 cluster is backed by Ubuntu server 1604, including an NFS server that hosts the persistent data. My Rancher 2 cluster is basically just RancherOS, with Alpine Linux running the load balancers. I think currently I have 36 machines running the Rancher clusters.

Its how I have it. Ubuntu + docker. Then I run Xeoma cctv in another docker container and also a Traccar server in one. But I dont use Hassio, I run “normal” HA. And ofc all containers related to HA. Flawless and stable

Fair enough but everything I run is in docker via docker-compose (except Cockpit and it was simple enough to add backports). I like the stability and the ability to do dist-upgrades without toasting my setup.