Choosing an installation method for NUC

FFS… am I speaking chinese here??? I log in as my user David - the ONLY user in the system. I set the shell to use sudo-su which gives me root permissions for everything I do in the WinSCP session. So you see the permissions as root and they are but I have elevated privileges for the winscp session. You don’t use WinSCP do you?

If I use PuTTY to login, again as the same user David, I have to use sudo for everything else I don’t have permissions… cos it’s owned by root. OR I can just elevate the PuTTY session to root but I don’t normally do that.

On my mac, using cyberduck and loging in as the David user I am continually screwed because I can’t elevate the session to be root like I can in Winscp.

TL;DR, Sparky does not have an issue with permissions that cannot be fixed by using the sudo-su elevation setting in WinSCP.

I wasn’t confusing the two connections, as far as I know, I was simply testing both one after the other. I understand connecting to the host vs the hassio container.

I can connect to the host on port 22 with the sparky username and with the sudo su- option selected but it won’t let me copy my snapshot to the hassio folder. In fact it won’t let me edit any files within the hassio folder at all.

The hassio ssh add-on is failing to start as per the log posted above. In that add-on I tried a number of variations to see the results. The closest I can get is it failing with the error:

FATAL: The configured certfile is not found

but I don’t know where or how to put the certfile, or where such file is acquired from.

Just to close out my connection issues for the thread:

1. In the SSH add-on settings I needed to change SSL=True, to false (otherwise the add-on was failing to run).
  2. When connecting to the Host (Ubuntu) using WinSCP (username=sparky), change the connection protocol from SFTP to SCP. This then allowed me to edit files within the HassIO folders.
  3. When connecting to the HassIO container using WinSCP (username=root), leave it as SFTP. Once SSL=false was set and the add-on ran properly, the WinSCP settings I had seemed fine.
1 Like

Nope, you are not. What you are doing is confusing how things work, so there’s that.

Which makes you root, and not your user. Please understand that. YOUR USER DOES NOT HAVE PERMISSIONS TO THE FOLDER. PERIOD. END OF STORY.

I FULLY understand what it does, and I have to use WinSCP at work on occasion. What YOU need to understand is that I DO know what I am talking about.

No shit, because again, YOUR USER DOESN’T HAVE PERMISSIONS THERE, which is what I have been saying.

Yep.

I was not disagreeing with this, but for some reason you felt the need to disagree with the facts as I have stated. He was having issues with sudo su and as such the other fix was to fix permissions on the directory.

But, since you are the expert I will let you help out, and I will just sit back and enjoy my breakfast.