Choosing my next outdoor security camera

Hello,
still another topic about outdoor security cameras, i know, but i’m looking for some specific functionalities and probably who already uses it can help…
Now i have a Foscam camera. I can control it with HA, it’s all local, i can save video on my local nas, i can enable/disable motion detection via HA, but it has no PTZ
So i looked for new foscam, but i see they completely lost the local web interface (no sense at all), so i’m looking for alternatives that:

• fully local, no cloud for security cameras
  • working with HA, at least can enable/disable motion detection, can change ptz position, can change detection areas
  • can save video to local ftp
  • has changeable wifi antenna (i have a custom wifi antenna connected to my foscam that is in a remote place)

suggestions? i see amcrest is commonly suggested, together with dahua, but i’m not sure about functionalities…
thanks

1 Like

Use the search function.

ALL of the things you listed have been discussed over and over again.

What do you mean by this? Links?

i wrote them for info on the SD4. they replied me that the “web interface is now replaced by the VMS software”. No sense.
I wasn’t able to understand if CGI commands are still working for new cameras…
it’s a pity because i never had problems with foscam and honestly the look far better than amcrest…

I ended up buying an SD4 since ALL of the things listed had no answer (semi-cit)
I understand Foscam has terrible marketing people, because the web interface is where it used to be and CGI commands work.
Long life to foscam :smiley:

Yes i was actually going to reply here that i emailed Foscam and verified with them that CGI commands still worked with the new cameras.

I was disheartened when you said they no longer were supported so i had to verify for myself.

however it seems the web interface has some less features than VMS software, for example i can’t sort out how to configure detection area with the web interface (i can with VMS software and obviously through CGI commands)
Do you have any info about the last cgi document version? i have a 1.0.19 but it’s quite old…
thanks

No I don’t. Actually my CGI reference is even older at V1.0.4.

is there any way you could provide a link for that version you have? maybe a drop box or google drive public link?

1.0.19 is here :slight_smile:

1 Like

I contacted Foscam about getting the updated CGI documentation and they replied that I needed to provide info on the SDK for the app I am making and that I needed to sign an NDA to get that info.

I explained that I’m just a regular user so I don’t have any SDK info and I haven’t sent the NDA yet but I plan to in the next day or two so I will let you know if they send me the info or not.

If so and you are interested you could easily do the same.

they even asked if I was interested in getting a couple of different cameras to test at either a full discount (100% free) or an $80 discount. They might give you the same opportunity if that’s something you are interested in.

i can’t understand the request from foscam, the cgi documentation is pubblic, it’s just matter of versions, very strange request…
would you PM me the foscam contact that gave you that feedback? could be interested :slight_smile: thanks!

Yeah I thought so too but apparently not.

the email is simply [email protected]

I believe I started the contact via the “contact us” form at foscam.com so that would probably be the best place to start.

I didn’t ask about any offers at but when I asked about the CGI docs the reply email asked me if I was also interested in those offers.

Oops sorry I just realized you said “PM”. Oh well no great secrets here.

that was just to ask for the same person that gave you the feedback, they usually put their name in the mail, but at least asking for CGI documentation maybe will force them to publish :slight_smile:
thanks again (and SD4 is a damn good camera)
i’d only be happy to have more detailed detection area…

1 Like

Foscam’s requirement for an SDK application and non-disclosure is fricking absurd. Their CGI doc should include basic commands but is missing even things like the syntax required to turn on the spotlights and siren on my V5EP camera.

I asked their support for just these commands and I was told to go pound sand unless I filled out their ridiculous forms. By contrast the Dahua camera I’ve purchased is well documented and I was able to create controls for it in HA without much of a problem.

Basic product information like this should not be held hostage by Foscam, and IMO that alone is more than enough reason to buy other manufacturer’s products.

I was eventually able to find the info on a German forum, but it took hours. Here are the commands without an NDA:

Control Siren:
http://IP address:port/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=setSirenConfig&sirenEnable=1&sirenvolume=0&reserved=0&usr=xxx&pwd=xxxx
Enable = 1 is enable and enable = 0 is disable

Control light:
http://IP address:port/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=setWhiteLightBrightness&enable=1&brightness=100&lightinterval=60&usr=xxx&pwd=xxx
Enable = 1 is enable and enable = 0 is disable

1 Like

Good to know actually… I was thinking about checking out some Foscam cameras, but I think I’ll just stick with what I have now.

Silly companies…

ridiculous.
i really can’t understand why.

I filled out and returned the NDA and I’m still waiting on a reply from them.

1 Like

I started off with Foscam WiFi IP cameras then moved over to the hard wired varieties including some utilizing POE which I was happy with for a number of years because I fealt they offered good value for money for a budget camera.
Later I slowly started to move away from Foscam as I fealt other makes got better and cheaper thus offering better value for money.
I currently have mostly Dahua POE IP cameras (which I think are great) recording to a Dahua NVR (the cameras can run on 12v psu if preferred)
These are not perticularly easy to get hold of here in the UK but I bought mine via ebay several years ago.
I’ve recently added a Reolink video doorbell and a couple of indoor cameras to my system which happily connect to my Dahua NVR.
I’ve also purchased recently some more Reolink equipment (NVR, video doorbell, 2 x outdoor cameras an 1 indoor camera) and installed it at my daughters house and I’m very happly with it all.
So…
I personally would highly recommend Reolink IP cameras and NVR’s if you are looking for good value budget equipment that can give both local and cloud access aswell as plenty of different interface methods including a very good Android App.