Chromecast errors, but no chromecast configured?

Can anyone help me/explain to me, why I would get chromecast errors in my log while I have nowhere a Chromecast device configured?

16-12-30 20:51:35 homeassistant.components.recorder: Error during query: (sqlite3.OperationalError) database is locked [SQL: 'INSERT INTO events (event_type, event_data, origin, time_fired, created) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?)'] [parameters: ('state_changed', '{"new_state": {"attributes": {"friendly_name": "CPU Usage", "icon": "mdi:memory", "unit_of_measurement": "%"}, "last_changed": "2016-12-30T19:51:30.5 ... (253 characters truncated) ... "last_changed": "2016-12-30T19:49:30.556227+00:00", "last_updated": "2016-12-30T19:49:30.556227+00:00", "entity_id": "sensor.cpu_use", "state": "2"}}', 'LOCAL', '2016-12-30 19:51:30.569997', '2016-12-30 19:51:30.594513')]
16-12-30 21:45:51 homeassistant.components.updater: Got unexpected response: None
16-12-30 23:22:09 pychromecast.socket_client: Heartbeat timeout, resetting connection
16-12-30 23:22:39 pychromecast.socket_client: Failed to connect, retrying in 5.000000s
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/hass/.homeassistant/deps/pychromecast/", line 239, in initialize_connection
    self.socket.connect((, self.port))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/", line 840, in connect
    self._real_connect(addr, False)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/", line 827, in _real_connect
    socket.connect(self, addr)
socket.timeout: timed out

Now that IS interesting. Anything on your network that could be emulating a Chromecast? Like a phone or tablet with a multicasting app?

Could be my Philips Android TV?
I don’t have any other Android devices.
I do remember I have tried to set it up once but it didn’t work and after that I removed it from the configuration.
How can I find out if something is emulating a Chromecast?

I would think this is the case. Like my new UHD Vizio, it has builtin Chromecast (now referred to as ‘Cast’) technology.

My personal feeling is that pychromecast doesn’t like it because I think it shuts off when the TV is off or some point thereafter.

That would make sense. I get errors on my network when the chromecast that is powered by the TV USB port disappears.

There seems to be an assumption that they are permanently on.

There’s an issue raised on github regarding these errors, you should add your finding to the thread there so that one of the devs will see the traffic on the thread, possibly pick up on it and find a solution. There’s also some suggestions there that you may be able to rule out or comment on. It’s been open for a few months now, but still no answers.

That indeed makes a lot of sense. Good point! There are indeed only errors when the TV is off.
I’ll check if I can switch off the Cast functionality of the TV first, since I don’t use it, but will also try to add my finding to the issue on GitHub.

Thanks for the help!

I’ve subbed to that issue. I’ll add info as it seems relevent.

Cool. Maybe with a few extra voices we can get someone interested enough in looking into it.

Disabled the Chromecast function on my TV and voila, the errors are gone.
I added this to the Github issue.

I just did a fresh install of HASS and I am getting these errors.
The install is on a RaspberryPi3 using AIO.

I don’t have Chromecast so would simply like to disable if possible.

I don’t have a TV with this feature either so @klex1404 solution not possible for me.