Circadian Lighting [Custom Component]

no, it won’t work. this code doesn’t really make sense to me as you’re using both

lights_ct

and

lights_brightness

and that’s not how’s is supposed to be used… but thanks!

I re-read the Description - List of light entities which should **only** have brightness adjusted.
So as mentioned, you’ll need a separate CL switch for the light with brightness disabled.

yep creating a second switch solved it. Thanks again

Thanks for this component, I’ve been using it for a while with the example settings and it’s working out great in our living room.

I have implemented it in our kitchen with the same settings but am wondering how I can ‘pause’ it to have increased brightness during cooking? I’ve seen the kitchen lights start to dim just before the time we would start preparing dinner and need a brighter light (5 PM).

One option is to disable the circadian switch at 5 PM (either via button or automation), then re-enable it at the latest time we would finish 8 PM. Is there another way of getting brighter light at the specified time without disabling the switch? Curious how others are achieving this.

I process brightness and warmth in NodeRed storing current values in flow variables and passing them to lights at the same time.
When some input sequence is intercepted (ie double press) NR stops feeding particular light with circadian values, instead NR sends full brightness and neutral warmth. This state remains until light stays turned on. After turning off, NR starts to feed the lighs with circadian again

Mentioned flow variables are needed to pass most recent value to light immediately after turn off. Otherwise it would be needed to wait for next circadian state change.

PS. I can feed my lights when they are turned off because I’m using shelly devices which I feed directly through mqtt. HA is not feasible to do that

I have two (sets of) switches for my kitchen lights, the only differences are the min. and max. brightness levels. And I switch between the switches via automations that are triggered by a movement sensor.

If you are looking for inspiration, have a look here: https://github.com/bouwew/HA-configuration
Please note: I’m using the Adaptive-Lighting custom_component, that’s why I write (sets of).

I have an issue with matching color temperature between Phillips Hue bulbs/GU10 and 3rd party LED strips.

Every bulb/gu10 in my house is Phillips Hue. Besides that we have LEDs running the length of the house in the celling. These are 3rd party LEDS controlled via hue compatible RGBW controllers (https://iconnecthue.com/supported-devices/#Shenzhen)

The problem is there is a slight difference in the color temperature between the Hue lights and the LEDs even though they all report the same min/max mireds and color temperature in Home Assistant.

So the question is if I can create a separate switch for the LED strips and somehow offset the temperature a bit manually in order to tune the lights to better fit each other. It’s like listening to a band with one guitar slightly out of tune.

Yes you can create a separate switch and use diffferent min and max values for the color-range.

max_colortemp and min_colortemp are component configuration variables. I don’t believe these can be set pr. switch?

Also that would only create different endpoints. The problem is that 2300 kelvin looks different on the Hue versus my LEDs.

Sorry, I’m mixing Circadian Lighting with Adaptive Lighting, for which it IS POSSIBLE to change the min and max values per switch.

So my suggestion is: drop Circadian Lighting in favor of Adaptive Lighting.

1 Like

Thanks I will take a look at it :+1:

is it possible to link circarian lightning to a non smart bulb which is dimmered by a smart switch or by for example a shelly? if so is there a list of compatible ones?
was looking in particular for a setup that manages both light level and warmth but doesn’t rely on a bunch of smart bulbs
thanks a lot for any help :slight_smile:
Nicola

Any dimming switch or light entity in Home Assistant should work. I’m not sure how a smart switch or shelly could change the color temperature of a non-smart bulb, unless you have bulbs that change color temperature with voltage changes; in that case the temperature could change but not the brightness, and you would have to configure them as dimming lights with only a percentage range rather than specific color temperatures.

@claytonjn:

Any dimming switch or light entity in Home Assistant should work.

Does it include: Template Light ? Just tried and not successful…

B.T.W. Happy New Year

Yes it should. Have you looked at the logs?

@claytonjn Thks for the quick reply.

My bad, sorry false alarm. As I was copying and pasting the code here I noticed that I misspelled the name of the circadian switch that I was looking for. All good thanks again for the help.

i need to apply different color temperature scales to different lighting in my house (some need to less warmer than others). How can I configure that?
Currently I have this configuration:

circadian_lighting:
  min_colortemp: 2702     
  max_colortemp: 6250    

switch:
  - platform: circadian_lighting
    lights_ct:
      - light.family_room_lights
      - light.kitchen_lights

Now I need a separate color temperature config for these lights:

switch:
  - platform: circadian_lighting
    lights_ct:
      - light.office_room_lights
      - light.media_room_lights

Please suggest.

Use the alternative: Adaptive Lighting, that one provides what you are looking for.

or if you after more customizable solution, with own transition curves, you can check this one

Dear all, I have two different yeeligth bulbs (a YLDP06YL and a YLDP13YL). Each lamp has different mireds max values. The former has max_mireds: 370. The latter has max_mireds: 588.
So for the same value, calculated by components, I have different brightness.
There is a way to obtain the same luminosity for each bulb? Thanks