Cisco Catalyst Wireless Device Tracker

Anyone else running Cisco Catalyst access points in their environment? Since prices have come down on eBay, I’ve upgraded my mobility express network, but now don’t have a wifi based device tracker integration? Looks like the cisco_ios integration would be not too hard to modify to ssh into the EWC/WLC and pull the ‘show wireless client summary,’ but wanted to check if any is running these APs and already successfully tracking devices.

I just use an ARP lookup on my router, but this just tells me if device is on my network, not on which AP.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. I stupidly bought an RV340 awhile back and can’t find the SNMP community that lists the ARP table.

Cisco has always been good at delivering documentation and there is a MIBs list for this product too.

The WLC does give you the MACs of the clients over SNMP. I located this oid a while back when bringing channel usage stats to HA.

The EWC doesn’t technically support SNMP and although you can enable it in the command line it doesn’t support all the OIDs the cloud or standalone WLCs do. That RV router is hot garbage and doesn’t even support all of the OIDs in the published MIB… all that being said, my switch came in for the rescue and I was able to pull its ARP table via SNMP and dropped the age out down to 180 seconds for greater accuracy.