City heating (stadsverwarming) Kamstrup values into Energy Dashboard

Need to know more about you setup. Where is the sensor connected to? Are you sure you have assigned the software to use the correct USB port? How long did you wait for data to arrive? What is the read-out interval?

Sensor is connected to a raspberry pi. Sensor is correctly detected interval is, for testing purposes, once a minute. I’ve also tested with the enclosure removed and before running pressing a button on the kamstrup multical to wake it up.

I’ve verified i’m using the correct usb port.

Did you check if there are magnets present in de IR-head? I forgot to ask what kind of meter type (kamstrup?).

Yes there are. I ve also removed the enclosure to make sure i can align the leds perfectly. Tried again today still no luck. I have a kamstrup multical 401

Have you got it working currently? Still not working for me.

Yes, still working perfect on a 403. There seems a way to make IR leds visible (using a camera). Is the IR-head working and is the baud rate etc. ok? What happens if you activate the display? Are you then able to read data? So the issue is that you are not able to read when the Kamstrup is asleep? The documentation is not clear about a IR circuit that might be activated by the magnet. But for the 403 iit makes a big difference 5512091_GB.pdf—Page 58

For me it also doesn’t work. I have a kamstrup multical 66-cde and I bought the reader from aliexpress as well. Mine is from Almere city warming. I’ve tested the sensor reading my TV remote’s and it reads perfectly. But when I put it in the kamstrup optical readers, it doesn’t read anything. I’ve moved it a lot, put upside down, and nothing. Mine have the magnets and it sticks to the kamstrup with the magnet, but doesn’t read anything.

Another test that I did was getting the tv remote and pressing a random button pointing it towards my cellphone camera, and I can see the infrared light blinking. However, if I try to do the same with the kamstrup reading, I can’t see shit.

I think the optical reading option has been blocked somehow by vatenfall (city heating provider)

@heudon In that case you’ll need this integration: GitHub - golles/Home-Assistant-Sensor-MC66C: Custom component that integrates the Kamstrup Multicall 66C heating system into Home Assistant
This one worked great for me but got replaced for a Kamstrup 403.

Thanks for the tip, @HAEdwin. But I don’t get how this integration would solve an issue that’s apparently hardware related! If I connect the sensor reader component from aliexpress to my computer via usb port => run a linux CLI “screen” command with correct 9600 baudrate to read any data from it => point a TV remote towards it and press any button I can see encoded data coming in. Same if I point the remote to my cellphone camera’s, I can see the IR light blinking. The same doesn’t happen to the kamstrup, neither when putting the hardware on top of the kamstrup output optical sensors, nor putting my cellphone on top of it with the camera.

Found it. Probably this part that was missing. Maybe a wakeup command for the hardware to start sending data?

mc66c.baudrate = 300
mc66c.write("/#1".encode("utf-8"))
mc66c.flush()
sleep(1)

I’ll test it later today!

Good find! I was wondering if you was also able to see the IR leds on the meter for this might indicate if the IR-circuit is alive. Hope all works fine now!

For those reading this post later: GJ is now one of the supported units for “gas”. Though it would still be (aesthetically) nice if the energy dashboard had “heat” as an option.

1 Like

yeah, it is working now. Problem was with the meter itself, my meter was old. Recently, energy provide change my meter to newer version and after that it started working.