Clean up node id gaps after removing/re-adding nodes?

I’m trying to figure out what I have to clean out to get the node id’s to fill in the gap. I’ve modified the zwcfg_xxxxxxx.xml and changed the node’s id= parameter while simultaneously deleting the pyozw.sqlite file. I can’t find anything in /srv/homeassistant/src/open-zwave-control-panel/ to let me manually renumber a node id.

To be clear, I’m not introducing any current duplicates, just trying to fill in the gaps caused by removing and re-adding a sensor before I figured out I needed to change it to binary reporting in ozwcp.

There’s no functional reason why I can’t leave the gaps, but they bug me and it’s driving me nuts that I can’t figure out how to get the numbering reset.

Would it work to factory reset the z-stick? I don’t mind building the network again if I have to but since I don’t know what’s assigning the id’s I only want to do it if it won’t start all my id’s at 15…

I don’t know about changing the node id’s yourself manually, but doing a factory reset on the Z-Wave stick would work. I’ve done it myself before, and when rebuilding the Z-Wave network it starts over at node id 1.

You can reset the stick, but why do care about gaps in node IDs?

I can understand where he is coming from. I just had the same problem where I removed and re-added a node. I now have a missing number in the chain. It makes no difference (other than updating configs now), but it’s annoying.

On a side note, I wish Home Assistant added support for something like node aliases. The idea here is you define a friendly node id that alias the actual node. You could write your configurations/automations based on either the actual node or an alias. If your zwave node id ever changes, its a simple update to an alias, and not tracking down your old nodeid in all your configurations.

4 Likes

I wish Home Assistant added support for something like node aliases

That’s possible through template sensors and template switches but I’ve seen comments where people claim the reliability isn’t as good that way. I’m using template sensors for the two that are currently past the gap but I have 3 more switches that will probably go in this weekend.

Functionally there isn’t anything wrong with the gap in node id, but it drives me nuts that it’s there and bugs me that I can’t find what to nerf to reset the id assignment of new nodes.

2 Likes

Did anyone find a way to reuse an old node ID without resetting?

I just went through the exact same motions as the op… being a newb I removed and re-added a sensor 11 times before figuring out I had to turn on binary reporting to fix it. Now my brand new setup with 2 zwave nodes is at node 13 already.

I understand it is just a minor annoyance now, but I wonder if I approached the max node count for my stick… what to do then? Would hassio know then to reuse old node id’s or would it continue work up to max devices by just using higher values? If not (ie node id’s count as a device to the controller) then I think this would count as a real problem. Otherwise, it may not even be worth a fix (I can brag to my friends “I just added node #100 to my setup”, when it is really the 5th device lol).

It’s not possible to “assign” a nodeID to a device. This is managed by the controller and not something a application can influence/manage.

I’m the same way, the gap in the numbered nodes bugs me. But therapy may be easier than resetting the entire system. :slight_smile: :rofl: