Cleanup of old containers

My diskspace usage was always growing and I was wondering what was using all the diskspace.
It was not the database file (400MB) or the logfile (2MB).

I found that there were old container images lingering around. Cleanup of these old images saved me 24GB of diskspace.

I used portainer to cleanup these old images, but that’s not the idea.

Shouldn’t hassio cleanup these old container images?

I have the same issue and it has been bugging me for some time now. I have been manually doing docker image prune manually but this is not the solution. The system should be self managing/healing and requiring a techie to run it.

Supervisor does clean up after itself. But those are not addon images and you’re using portainer so you’re running unsupported and therefore all bets are off. Supervisor does not expect unsupported software (non-addon images and containers) to be present so it has no inherent handling for them

I may have a similar issue. Running out of space. df -h says disk is full, du says there is plenty of space left. Posted a question here:

docker system df says I have 23GB in images. How do I clean this up?
I am running HAOS on proxmox vm, nothing “unsupported”.
Can I just run docker system prune ? Will this break anything?

1 Like

I’m in the same situation, for years, and nobody said what is expected that we make to clean it. In the past I used portainer to clean old images, but now portainer is unsupported so I guess this wan’t the way to clean old images. So, What is expected the people must do to clean unused images of old versions of addons?

It should happen automatically on a healthy system, but the command ha su repair can be used.

2 Likes