Climate - central heating radiator system - with manual control

I have automations for when our central heating system should come on.
At any time if temp gets below 15.5 degrees, it overrides and turns on.

Between 5am and 8am if the temp is < 18 degrees, turn on.
After 8am to 10pm if someones wants it, they just turn it on manually. When you want it off, set it off, or back to schedule mode.
At 10 pm, it’;s reset from on, and set back to schedule mode so that if needed at 5am it will come back on.

I’m trying to move to using a climate control (so I get a pretty widget in homekit).
So I’ve grabbed the generic thermostat. and hooked it a fake central heating switch, and the average house temp.

- platform: generic_thermostat
  name: Central Heating
  # switch to control to turn heating on/off
  heater: input_boolean.test_central_heating
  # current temp sensor
  target_sensor: sensor.average_house_temp
  min_temp: 15.0
  max_temp: 21.0
  target_temp: 18.0
  temp_step: 0.2
  ac_mode: false
  hot_tolerance: 0.2
  cold_tolerance: 0.2
  min_cyle_duration:
    minutes: 10
  keep_alive:
    minutes: 30
  initial_operation_mode: 'auto'

So I’m looking at node-red for controlling it. I can get the override temps and the morning temperature to work by looking at the time, and if between 5 and 8, set target temp to 19 degrees. Otherwise set target at 15.

But with the config of the climate control, I only get the option in lovelace for off or heat. I was expecting something like on/off and an auto mode.

How can I do this?

try to add

- platform: demo

to your climate config and you’ll have something like this:

or even a fancier thermostat card in Lovelace.

What is that supposed to do?

Now I get that the climate component is missing:

- platform: demo
  name: Central Heating
  # switch to control to turn heating on/off
  heater: input_boolean.test_central_heating
  # current temp sensor
  target_sensor: sensor.average_house_temp
  min_temp: 15.0
  max_temp: 21.0
  target_temp: 18.0
  temp_step: 0.2
  ac_mode: false
  hot_tolerance: 0.2
  cold_tolerance: 0.2
  min_cyle_duration:
    minutes: 10
  keep_alive:
    minutes: 30
  initial_operation_mode: 'auto'

I don’t see any errors in the logs.

ok, I found that demo had set it to heatpump and havc. But are they just demo, and just do what why want? So I can’t control them?

I said “add”, not “replace” :wink:
In my setup I had my thermostat and HVAC/Ecobee initially, but disabled the latter 2 as they don’t exist physically.

isn’t the demo one, just that a demo component, and doesn’t take values from anywhere?

It looks like with the generic_thermostat, that if theres only heating (no ac) it only offers heat (for on, and off). Where heat is an auto mode

no offence, but did you read docs?

NO. it’s a real one. have no idea where the platform name came from

Yes, but where in the docs for the generic_thermostat does it list the operation modes available? Which I believe is my problem

Are there docs for that? I couldn’t find any. Or do I just base it off the mqtt docs which seems to be the most full featured.

2 paragraphs below this one

Probably not. When I started using generic_thermostat, I’d been told to use these 2 platforms.
Almost all settings are in generic_thermostat anyway.
And I’ve just checked and can conform that you don’t need that demo at all, it works without it just fine.
That’s probably why there is no info on that available. HA is evolving rapidly and often the docs do not reflect all changes… :frowning:

So with

Currently the generic_thermostat climate platform supports ‘heat’, ‘cool’ and ‘off’ operation modes. You can force your generic_thermostat to avoid starting by setting Operation to ‘off’.

The only way I can really get what I want, when a user wants the manually overnight de it, set the target temp to current temp plus sone, so it won’t reach it.

I don’t really get what you’re saying, and to me it’s not what you’re started in OP… 8()