Climate Control Template

Hi everyone,
it’s possible in hass.io to create a “template”/“cmd” climate control. With template/cmd I mean that on every button (Hotter, Colder, etc) can be assigned a custom template or command, which executes something, like (shell) scripts and so on or retrieves something.

(Default climate control)

I’m asking this because I have a couple of A/C’s at home which doesn’t have WiFi control, but I’m going to implement this functionality with a WiFi capable microcontroler, some basic programming and some soldering and fiddling around with the AC circuitry.

The problem is that the only three ways (which I know) is either create a “Climate” component from various components like sliders, temp. sensors and buttons and put them in a grouped card, reverse engineer a working AC component and make the microcontroller spitting the right commands out or creating a custom component (this one I don’t know - it seems to complex).

Maybe there even is a template/cmd climate component or something like that and I don’t even know about, it would be absolutely nice.

Thanks in advance.

would this work?

1 Like

Thanks for your help, but that is only a individual component which switches something on and off, depending on a sensors temperature.

It were nice if there was a A/C component, with temp. control, temp. graph and mode, which can be programmed with templates/cmds.

EDIT: Or is this “Generic Termostat” the same as above picture and I am missing it?

Thats what you are asking for though. This template makes a thermostat object inside the climate domain.

I’m not sure what else you’d want.

With graph and selectable target temperature, like any other A/C component?

This will get you what you want.

EDIT: The climate component is what generates all that other stuff. This object is in that domain, it’s safe to assume you will get all the same controls as long as you provide all the required attributes.

Oh okay. That’s very nice!

The documentation really needs some images to show what individual components look like, in my opinion.

Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

Yeah, They need visual examples for every ui control IMO

1 Like

Do feel free to submit PRs (pull requests) to update the docs - use the Edit this page on GitHub link in the top right :wink:

I already tought of that and already made a pull request of one page to add some missing information, but it’s been more than 1 week and it’s still not there.

I don’t entirely know how it’s made with those. Do hass.io accept all pull request of their page on a specific date or something like that or was mine not enough and won’t be accepted?

Got a link to the PR and I can see what the state is?

That’s a commit, not a PR. I can’t find any PR linked to that.

Sorry to ask that, but what’s exactly the difference?

A PR is a pull request, it’s a “please add this change” request. Until it reaches that stage it’s not visible to those who run the repository.

You edit the file on GitHub, then Propose file change, select current as the base (for documentation tweaks like this), then Create pull request.

Thank you for explaining it, but I think I’ve lost myself in GitHub. I can’t find Propose file change. I somehow “forked” hass.io to my User, but from there I can’t find it, because it errors out 404. When I look at the file changes, I somehow contributed, but cant propose this change.

You have to start with the page of documentation you want to edit, then use Edit this page on GitHub and go from there.

Didn’t work. I’ll try it again later (maybe), or you can try and make a PR out of my commit, if that’s possible.

But thanks for your help.

Did you get any further on this one ? I am looking into controlling my LG AC unit using a script to generate the different IR-codes and sending them (MQTT) using a NodeMCU (Tasmota) with an IR-diode.

me too. let’s hop someone has a solution for this