Clothes Dryer Automations

It’s an ESP32 firmware without YAML configuration that you can upload through a web portal, here are the steps:

This worked like a charm! I got it setup and working this weekend. Still experimenting with the sensor settings to successfully indicate a dry load, but otherwise, thanks for sharing this!

1 Like

Thank you to those way more technical than me that figured out how to reverse engineer this helpful little gadget so we could implement it locally. @bryangerlach – Thank you so much for your write up! I’ve never worked with ESPHome and your write-up made the whole process go very smooth.

Now a question. :slight_smile:

Did anyone ever get the temperature and battery sensors working correctly? I previously implemented smartDry into HA by looking at the AWS details, and had two additional automations than what’s been discussed. One (which worked) told me when the battery was low and needed replaced. Another (which I couldn’t get to work at the time) told me if the temperature exceeded some max safety threshold. It would be really helpful to get both of these working with the local option.

Has anyone been able to figure this out?

From what i understand, the temperature on the ESP device should be correct whilst its on, whilst its stationary it rarely does updates.

Just had a look at the battery and it does look like its a bit all over the place, not sure whats going on there.

Battery always reports a “130” when idle. That seems to get interpreted weirdly depending on what you’re looking at/using to find “low” batteries.

You could build an automation that reports the battery level only when “active”, and something like 100% when idle (or unavailable would be more correct).

Temperature for my unit seems to work properly. However, it doesn’t update it after it stops working, so mine has been like 83F for several days.

To do what you want just make a condition of the temperature check that it’s actually active (Shake != 0 or Wake != 0, whatever works for you).

1 Like

It seems like its a bit all over the place for me even when its going…

Ranges from 252 all the way down to 7 in the space of 10 minutes?

Done. Thanks for the tip on the temperature!

As discussed, I’ve also gone and created an automation for the battery so that if the sensor is ‘unavailable’ for 30 minutes then it’ll notify me. That said, if anyone is able to figure out how we could detect ‘low battery’ as opposed to the battery being completely dead, then I’d definitely prefer that if possible. Regardless, you and this thread have been a lifesaver and I really appreciate all the guidance. Thank you!

I have tried (and failed) to do the ‘dryness’ calculation on the ESP32, so that it automatically comes across as an entity, rather than editing to make one.

Does anyone know how to edit the config file to do this basic calculation?

This topic might going to have a new influx of people as the author of this article referenced it.

I am sad to see another company leaving a product like this behind.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity. I didn’t use my dryer for a week and noticed that while the ESP32 device was connected and online, the sensor was unavailable in HA until I started my dryer. Does this mean that the SmartDry sensor in my dryer goes into a low battery state to conserve battery?

Yes. It does not send BTLE updates a short period after it stops “shaking”.

I purchased the esp32 mentioned above, successfully got it setup, but am having trouble finding a project box that’ll fit it. I sent away to have someone 3d print the below box but it didn’t fit. The case for it was way too small even after removing part of it using a Dremel. It’s a pity too because I really liked the look of it. Did it in white and blue to match the home assistant theme too.

Oh well… Anywho, does anyone who purchased the suggested esp32 board have a project box that worked for them? Looks like there’s no recommendations even on Amazon.

I like this case too, I’ll print it on my printer and then start adjusting it to fit the board properly. I’ll send you one once I have one working (and I’ll send you a pic so you can decide if you like it).

Now I have a project for the long weekend!

That’s very kind of you to take the time to do that. Thanks for the help! I should mention that I purchased the USB C version of the suggested esp32 board.

My biggest issues I had with this case are:

1. The hole for the usb power connector seemed a bit small. Maybe it was made for the micro USB board? Was hard to tell in the photo. May even have been small even for the micro USB.
  2. The walls of the project box seemed to curve inward, and the board seemed very slightly too wide and long. So it never completely seated down into the case.
  3. I didn’t realize the pins below the board would be exposed outside the case. Kind of made it more challenging to sit on a shelf or wall mount.
  4. The design shows two pressable areas to interact with the buttons on the board. Both of these were immobile and still connected on my print. When I pressed both they snapped off. Seems like it would be nice if the pressable area had more space.

I printed the top in white and the bottom in a filament color called fjord blue. Seemed to match the colors of HA really well.

That’s likely the issue. I’ll grab a USB-C one to work with, but that’ll delay things a bit (as I’m guessing when I print this case, it’ll work fine on my board). Thanks for mentioning that!

I have a smart dry gen 1 sensor.

Would someone mind listing the specific steps to get this working correctly?

A condensed set on instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

For everyone that has asked or for those that may ask, here is a full write-up that should get anyone operational with the instructions found here, without having to pour through this post. I have credited all of the great folks that contributed to this within this thread. I didn’t do the work, you all did:

7 Likes

Quick update, I printed the STL file you provided and it works fine with my board and everything lines up. I’m not thrilled that it allows the GPIO pins to stick out, but I understand why. I just received my USB-C version and will modify the case to fit that model as well. It’ll take a bit though, as my weekend just evaporated waiting for it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good to know the original version fit! Still very new to all of this. Thanks for confirming.

Patiently waiting for the redesign. :slight_smile: