CO2 Signal unknown/unavailable

Since a few days ago CO2 Signal stopped working. The integration says either unavailable or unknown as per the screenshot. To my knowledge I didn’t change anything that could have tampered with it. Initially I told it to use my Home location, but I’ve tried deleting the integration and re-adding it with lat/longitude in hopes of it picking up again, but alas, no success. Restarting HA or rebooting my RPi3 doesn’t help.

The diagnostics are below. The HA log doesn’t show anything that might seem related, but I could always share it if requested.

{
  "home_assistant": {
    "installation_type": "Home Assistant OS",
    "version": "2022.3.3",
    "dev": false,
    "hassio": true,
    "virtualenv": false,
    "python_version": "3.9.9",
    "docker": true,
    "arch": "aarch64",
    "timezone": "Europe/Amsterdam",
    "os_name": "Linux",
    "os_version": "5.10.92-v8",
    "supervisor": "2022.03.3",
    "host_os": "Home Assistant OS 7.4",
    "docker_version": "20.10.9",
    "chassis": "embedded",
    "run_as_root": true
  },
  "custom_components": {
    "hacs": {
      "version": "1.23.0",
      "requirements": [
        "aiogithubapi>=21.11.0"
      ]
    }
  },
  "integration_manifest": {
    "domain": "co2signal",
    "name": "CO2 Signal",
    "documentation": "https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/co2signal",
    "requirements": [
      "co2signal==0.4.2"
    ],
    "codeowners": [],
    "iot_class": "cloud_polling",
    "config_flow": true,
    "loggers": [
      "CO2Signal"
    ],
    "is_built_in": true
  },
  "data": {
    "config_entry": {
      "entry_id": "f70572426841c396693b96e7e91e7e10",
      "version": 1,
      "domain": "co2signal",
      "title": "CO2 Signal",
        "api_key": "**REDACTED**",
        "latitude": "**REDACTED**",
        "longitude": "**REDACTED**"
      },
      "options": {},
      "pref_disable_new_entities": false,
      "pref_disable_polling": false,
      "source": "user",
      "unique_id": null,
      "disabled_by": null
    },
      "_disclaimer": "This data is the exclusive property of electricityMap and/or related parties. If you're in doubt about your rights to use this data, please contact [email protected]",
      "status": "ok",
      "countryCode": "NL",
        "fossilFuelPercentage": null
      },
      "units": {
        "carbonIntensity": "gCO2eq/kWh"
      }
    }
  }
}

Does anyone have a clue why it isn’t working? Many thanks in advance!

I have the exact same issue, Intensity is unknown and fossil fuel percentage is unavailable.

Edit I tried requesting the data directly via URL:
https://api.co2signal.com/v1/latest?countryCode=NL&auth-token=mytoken

{"_disclaimer":"This data is the exclusive property of electricityMap and/or related parties. If you're in doubt about your rights to use this data, please contact [email protected]","status":"ok","countryCode":"NL","data":{"fossilFuelPercentage":null},"units":{"carbonIntensity":"gCO2eq/kWh"}}
2 Likes

So weird, the call is successful yet there is no data. When you load the website however, data about NL is shown.

My NZ data has been unavailable for months.

I’ve sent an email to the guys at CO2 Signal asking if they have an idea, since the API seems to work but does not contain actual data, so it honestly seems to be on their end. I’ll update this thread with the response.

my impression was that their data is gathered from pretty disparate sites, so there are a lot of points of breakage.

Same here (NL), will follow this topic.

No reaction from the guys at CO2 Signal so far. :frowning:

Their response:

Hi sn0x0r,

Thanks for the kind message!

We currently show estimations on our map, but we don’t serve them through our API. This is why you see the NL on the map, because it is a zone we estimate. We hope to make estimates accessible through the API soon!

Best,
xxxxx

https://docs.co2signal.com/

https://static.electricitymap.org/api/docs/index.html

Two similar APIs where the second appears to be commercial or at least not open.

I would not be surprised if they are moving to the new one and close the other one.

What’s the point of this reaction? Clearly we know of the docs since the 2nd post in this thread contains the API call from the docs… Also it does absolutely nothing with regards to the opening post I made, since it only lists the API calls and tells us nothing about why the call is no longer returning data.

Thanks I guess?

I am copy pasting back and forth. There also is a non free api from electricitymap that is not free. I was about to add that.

Sorry if I came off a bit harsh than.

Anyways, I asked them why it was working a few weeks ago then:

Hi sn0x0r,

Thanks for the kind message!

We currently show estimations on our map, but we don’t serve them through our API. This is why you see the NL on the map, because it is a zone we estimate. We hope to make estimates accessible through the API soon!

Best,
xxxxx

Hey xxxxx,

That’s odd, because 2 weeks ago it did work? Did you change this on purpose? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

sn0x0r

This might be due to some recent changes internally where we stopped serving inaccurate measured data through the API. We are working to get estimates exposed to the API soon!

Best,
xxxxx

So that’s that I guess. I appears that he means that no data is served through the API, yet with hardly any mentions of this integration not working right now, it still seems that this problem is not entirely widespread?

I’m also experiencing this issue. Too bad, since I only got my P1 meter just last week :frowning: Hope everything is fixed soon.

Someone needs to post an issue. If you don’t, then no dev will see it or try to fix it.

Ah, apparently an issue has already been logged.

Hopefully it’s fixed soon!

They say it is coming back in 2 weeks:

It’s working again!