Code release 2021.7.0b0 broke my Modbus - what do I do next?

My Modbus doesn’t work with core release 2021.7.0b0 and later. The logfile doesn’t really show much other than “WARNING (SyncWorker_5) [homeassistant.components.modbus.modbus] modbus modbus_hub communication open”. This doesn’t mean anything to me.

I am a bit of a HA newbie, and didn’t know much about upgrading components of HA - until today. I hadn’t upgraded since I installed earlier this year. Today, I installed the latest (2021.10.6) and the Modbus connection to my solar PV inverter stopped working. I downgraded and upgraded many times untill I narrowed it down to this:
2021.6.6 - the Modbus works
2021.7.0b0 - Modbus doesn’t work

(2021.6.6 worked, then I jumped to 2021.7.0b3 and it stopped working. I then worked my way back through 2021.7.0b0 (where it still didn’t work) to 2021.6.6 (where it started working again).

That release had breaking changes to the modbus config, what does yours look like?

Read the Breaking Changes section concerning ModBus:

You could have saved yourself a lot of time and frustration by simply reviewing the Release Notes. Much faster than installing/uninstalling multiple versions.

I was jumping from 2021.4.something :slight_smile:

Doesn’t matter which version you started from; things change from one release to another and reading the Release Notes, especially the Breaking Changes section, is a good way to prevent problems.

You will have to revise how your ModBus integration is configured.

thank you all for your help - it is going again