Colgate Hum Bluetooth Toothbrush

Has anyone had any luck integrating the Colgate Hum toothbrush into HA? They’re VERY cheap (and surprisingly seem to actually work pretty well too). Seems like the perfect/easy option instead of the pricey Oral B ones.

I bought one a while ago hoping to at least see it broadcast on Bluetooth when it runs (so I could trigger bedtime automations), but unfortunately it constantly broadcasts regardless of use.

Hi @brooksben11, do the broadcasts change when idle or running, as to possibly indicate the different modes, or is the broadcast always the same, likely only for recognising it for pairing and then getting the values through paired connections/notifications?

It’s been some time since I originally tried setting it up, but I THINK it was just the exact same broadcast. It of course has an app and I think is just broadcasting for pairing/connecting.

Full-disclosure: this is far from my wheelhouse, so I could very well be wrong.

If you ever feel like investigating some more to see if the broadcasts differ while off and in use, you could try installing the Theengs Gateway Add-On and monitor the MQTT broadcasts data through MQTT Explorer.

If they do differ it is be worth investigating some more to see which and how the state, and possibly different running modes, are encoded in the data.

If it will only be accessible through connection/notification a different approach would be required to integrate the Colgate Hum into HA.

Thanks for the info! I’ll add it to my ever-lengthening To-do list. :slight_smile:

1 Like