Combine cool white and warm white led strip into one light

I’ve got a Shelly rgbw2 and a dual white (alternating cool white/warm white leds) led strip hooked up. The warm white is hooked up to channel 0 and cool white is on channel 1.

Right now it works perfectly as two separate lights with just brightness control, but I’m trying to figure out how combine them and show it as one light with a brightness and color temp slider that sets the ‘balance’ between the two channels.

Started looking at the group light component, but I’m not sure that’s the way to go.

Here’s my config for the two channels of the rgbw2:
https://pastebin.com/YjXKeLQE

I suggest you consider using a Template Light.

Effectively, you will be creating a third light entity that controls the other two light entities. When you turn on the Template Light, it turns on both of the other two lights. Change the Template Light’s brightness and it will change the brightness of the two lights.

1 Like

Thanks for the pointers, looks like I’ve got to dig into the Templating Docs. Is there a way to get a white temp slider with a template light? Like this:
Capture

1 Like

I haven’t found the option for colortemperature. Afraid not :neutral_face:

You can configure a separate input slider for that if you want.

Thanks, I’m thinking of skipping the color temp slider of my config and setting up some presets. It might be (for me) an easier way to go.

Or, as someone in my reddit post suggested, using Appdeamon with python and try going down that route.

I’m looking to do exactly the same thing. How did this end up going? Thanks.

Also wondering what the outcome was of this?

I’m also on the same boat :slight_smile:

I’m attempting the same with the Shelly RGBW2. I hope a path forward can be found as that would make integrations into something like flux work.

1 Like

Probably an unsatisfying answer since it doesn’t involve the Shelly RGBW2. But to make use of the dual white led strips I had, I used esphome with esp8266 and the cool white/warm white component.

Actually quite satisfying. Thank you for the pointer!

isn’t ysing template light easier than flashing

- platform: mqtt
    schema: template
    name: "Hall Floor 2 CCT"
    command_topic: "shellies/light-hall2/color/0/set"
    state_topic: "shellies/light-hall2/color/0/status"
    availability_topic: "shellies/light-hall2/online"
    payload_available: "true"
    payload_not_available: "false"
    retain: false
    qos: 1
    command_on_template: >
        {"turn": "on"
          {%- if brightness is defined -%}
          , "gain": {{ brightness | float | multiply(0.3922) | round(0) }}
          {%- endif -%}
          {%- if color_temp is defined -%}
          , "red": {{ ( (color_temp | float ) - 153 ) | multiply(0.734870317) | round(0) }}
          , "green": {{ ( 500 - (color_temp | float ) ) | multiply(0.734870317) | round(0) }}
          , "blue": 0
          {%- endif -%}
        }
    command_off_template: '{"turn":"off"}'
    state_template: "{% if value_json.ison %}on{% else %}off{% endif %}"
    brightness_template: "{{ value_json.gain | float | multiply(2.55) | round(0) }}"
    color_temp_template: "{{ ( ( value_json.red | float | multiply(1.36078431373) ) + 153 ) | round(0) }}"

Flashing is pretty easy, I’m not re-flashing a Shelly, I’m using an esp8266. And after you do it the first time with esphome, subsequent times are done over-the-air. And I don’t have a good understanding of templating, so yes flashing was easier. But thanks for the code.

I know this is an old thread, but RGBW2 can be flashed with ESPHome and you can use one RGBW2 to drive 2 such strips.

I am trying to do the same but with Gledopto GL-C-009 :slight_smile:
What’s the best solution for today?

Have you had success with this?

not sure what you are asking about. It’s works for me from beginning.

brilliant, is this then compatible with flux/ adaptive lightning for managing lumens/ light warmth throughout the day?
best,
Nicola

it converts two channels into single light in bidirectional way creating light entity in HA. So yes, it should work with all components.
But implementation may vary depending on hw specs, for example whether gain is defined as range 0-100 or 0-255 etc

good to know, i will try :slight_smile: one last question i promise, how did you wire your LED strip?