Comfort RF thermostat to smart home using ESP32 (help needed)

Hi all

ive been using Home assistant for about 2 years now and have made a few ESP32 projects (automatic curtain openers etc). but this project has stumped me at ever turn as of right now this is a fact finding mission to see if this is posable

i am unable to modify the boiler its self due to this being a council rental, and i don’t also wish to edit the remote control comfort rf panel as well due to the above reason so my idea to get around this is as follows

the thermostat looks something like this > https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/thumbs//img/ProductImages/Controls/comfort/Comfort__I_RF_on_wall_400x234-400x_.jpg under the turn dial is a centre pin this pin turns and there is my attack vector, using an ESP32 and a 28BYJ-48 ULN2003 5V Stepper Motor and ULN2003 Driver Board

so my idea is to mount the stepper motor on the front of the face so it slots in to the cut out of the comfort RF centre pin, and then using the esp32 to drive the motor to set the temp once this temp is reached the boiler auto turns off, thats how it basiclly works the issue i am having is i have no idea how to go about doing this code wise :smiley:

as there is no way for the esp32/home assistant to read the current temp the panel is set to i would need it to every now and then “reset it self” basically spin for x amount of turns to reset the panel back to 5 witch is the lowest setting and then turn the other way until it reach’s the set amount of turns needed to reach the set temp but i also need home assistant to see it as a normal thermostat as well :smiley:

what are your guys thoughts