Community Hass.io Add-on: Google Assistant Webserver (broadcast messages without interrupting music)

Aw, this is terrible, terrible news.

I know the Google Assistant addon itself recently needed to update…
https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio-addons/tree/master/google_assistant

…anything related? I don’t know what I’m looking at.

Yeah, looks like the framework got bumped a major version. So yeah, the repo needs to be updated for this add on to use the most recent python package most likely.

Good to know you’re aware of this. I’m already starting to miss that smooth TTS voice. Back to robot woman for now.

I believe your addon uses Google Assistant Service (grpc). Am I correct ?

I think Google just disabled the broadcast feature :frowning:
https://developers.google.com/assistant/sdk/overview#features

Same issue here.

Google My activity shows that the answer was “Sorry, it looks like I can’t broadcast right now. You might want to try again later.”

People on smart things forums seem to have the same problem.

Has anyone that has this issue tried using the Google Assistant app for the phone to see if broadcasting there works?

I also get an error just using the phone app.

This is interesting. It’s working for me if I use the voice command but not if I type in the command on my phone’s assistant!

I don’t know why I didn’t think to try that before. It causes Assistant to hang for me.

So yes, I did try it when it first started happening and it did work. However now it also just hangs for me.

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone recommend any kind of system that could ding or alert when a door is open? I used this Google Assistant plugin to say “xxxx door open” when only one person was home. It seems like all of the z wave sirens with extra functionality only do siren mode in Hass. I don’t want to use Cast/TTS because it interrupts music playing.

Someone raised an issue with Google and they acknowledged it.

https://github.com/greghesp/assistant-relay/issues/28#issuecomment-390326708

1 Like

Bummer… Mine’s stopped working too.

According to a user called josharmour on github this is being looked at. Might be a while though. For reference:

https://github.com/endoplasmic/google-assistant/issues/52#issuecomment-390411918

He’s saying it’s fixed now, I’m not at home. Anyone want to try it out?

josharmour commented 11 hours ago
Ok, can you verify that it is working again @greghesp ?

It is working from my phone again when i type ‘broadcast text message’, but sadly still not with this hass.io add on @AndBobsYourUncle

1 Like

Hi Bob & gang… coming from the Google SDK add on side, it’s like what you said API has been upgradeded, the authentication is more “complete” now as we need to supply a device model ID (register one and associate with our project) and its accompanying clientsecrets saved as config.json and stored with the project secrets (or google_assistant.json as we know it). Also we need to supply our own identifier string and token token (in our definition in our configuration.yaml ) for the oauth2 authentication to complete. All this in addition to google_assistant.json as previously done.

Think all that is applicable here?

I confirm broadcasting from the phone with Google Assistant and from Google Home does work, but does not from the GA module in HA.
Interesting to see also that a URL such as /command?message=“turn on the light” will work, so it’s really the broadcast that stopped working.
I tried x.x.x.x/command?message=“broadcast a test message” but unfortunetely it doesn’t work.

As I said, the broadcast feature has been disabled by Google within the grpc service used by this addon. Unless someone finds a way to do text queries with the Google Assistant library instead of the grpc service, I don’t expect it to be fixed anytime soon.

Edit: It seems the library allows now text queries, which is a very good news as it means remote casting as well !
The original GA addon uses the library so it could be a base to start from.

1 Like

This is exactly what I’m after but as a component within Home Assistant directly. Is there really a need to have a webserver? Can’t the underlying python google assistant SDK do the same calls to the Google Assistant API? Obviously we’d need to add a notification component for google assistant but just trying to think why this wouldn’t work? Before I go and try it!

I did a quick test with the GA Library and text queries and was able to play Music / YouTube on my chromecasts ! Broadcast seems to work also, no error in my activity logs but I’m not a 100% sure as I’m not at home until Sunday. Playing News also works. This is pretty awesome as these actions can now be automated.
My knowledge with Docker is null so I guess someone needs to update this addon to use the Library instead of the Service.

1 Like