Community Hass.io Add-on: Google Assistant Webserver (broadcast messages without interrupting music)

That’s good news…

@AndBobsYourUncle any thoughts?

As @danjenkins suggests, switching to the library might be a good opportunity to make this a full fledged component ?

Yes if the python library works it would be better making a component (or extending the google assistant code already in HA?) so that you don’t need to run anything extra - then we could just have a notificaton to a google assistant broadcast component. I need to finish the other components I’m working on before I start another one!

You’re right, apparently it’s a google issue where timers don’t sync between devices anymore (it used to?) I really can’t wait for casting functions to be added so I can use it to turn my tv off, since HDMI_CEC stopped working for me on Hassio

Keep in mind that the Library only supports linux-armv7l and linux-x86_64 architectures

Hadn’t even thought about that! :frowning:

I gave the library some more thoughts and I don’t think it’s the right approach here. It’s meant as a turnkey solution to built a new Google Assistant speaker. It requires audio access to listen to the hotwords and play responses over a directly connected speaker. My NAS I run home assistant on doesn’t even have an audio stack!

The gRPC service is conceptually what’s needed as we’re just trying to interface with the assistant service.

If it means being able to successfully automate cast commands then I’m fine with the library (and only linux-armv7l and linux-x86_64 support). The current webserver addon was based on the Google Assistant addon which also required audio/mic. The feature simply wasn’t used here.

I just set this up. It is pretty awesome what you can do with it. I did note some things that were a little confusing for those who might run into it.

Routines/aliases:
Custom routines do not run. Meaning if I have a Routine for something like “Hey google, do a thing” and then it does a bunch of custom actions it doesn’t run for me. Rather I have to send the commands that the routine would’ve ran. Unfortunately that is a hindrance to using a routine to sort of alias casting of music or even calling a command via it’s alias like “reboot the router” (an alias) which calls my hass script by saying to hass “Turn on the reboot the router”. Rather when I script it I have to put in “turn on the reboot the router”.

Casting:
as noted in this thread, it doesn’t work. Researching some more I found that casting is separate from the sdk used here. Google samples repository on github has an issue where someone asked about it: https://github.com/googlesamples/assistant-sdk-python/issues/161

Will this work to control lights and tv? such as “Hey google turn on the tv” or “Hey google turn on the kitchen lights”? If so I am doing something wrong

for that you need:

I want to do it in without voice so it is usable in an automation. I have sonoff and dont want to reflash. If this will work to control them via the google assistant that would be amazing

oh ok, yeah that’s this component. It was just the way your wrote it I mistook that for actual speech. sorry. I hadn’t managed to get this to run yet but if you go a fair way up the thread, it looks like it’s currently broken for everyone

Ok, Thanks

It should still be able to control your sonoff devices, but the issue you have is that HA will then have no idea of the device’s current state and you will not be able to control it as a switch.

Hey there,

I managed to get mine to work.
Its flawless.
However i was wondering if its possible to route the “output” to a specific google home?
Example:

Google assitant command: Tell me about my day
Bathroom google mini : ‘to actually tell me about my day’

Ok, I think Im doing something wrong then because its not responding to anything

You’ve set this up recently? I’m confused about the state of this addon now.

Yes, I set this up just last week and everything works. I was simply noting the gotcha’s and limitations I found.

Just to be clear, did you get the broadcast function working? That is what I am interested in, and that seems to be what people in the thread are saying is not working (if I am reading it right).