Community Hass.io Add-on: Google Assistant Webserver (broadcast messages without interrupting music)

I had this and for me it was because of a port conflict. I Incremented each of the defaults and it worked fine. 5001 and 9325. Might work for you ?

2 Likes

LEGEND!!! that worked. Thank you so much :slight_smile:

Don’t know if this will help anyone, but this is my Docker Compose section to run this addon in a non-HassIO Docker instance. Also note that I run everything on a NUC so I pulled the AMD64 image.

#################################################
#GOOGLE ASSISTANT WEBSERVER
#https://hub.docker.com/r/andbobsyouruncle/amd64-google-assistant-webserver/
#################################################
  googleassistant:
    container_name: googleassistant
    image: andbobsyouruncle/amd64-google-assistant-webserver:0.0.3
    restart: unless-stopped
    ports:
      - 5000:5000
      - 9324:9324
    volumes:
      - /srv/docker/googlewebserver:/data
      - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
    labels:
      - com.centurylinklabs.watchtower.enable=true
1 Like

Woring for me as well. Feeling happy with broadcast natural language.

Sir,
Appreciate your efforts in making a more mature.I am running Raspbian and trying to get this working .I pulled the your docker image and trying to get it run.Can you pl explain the statement “The requirement is that the client.json needs to be added to the host folder for it”
I could able to run original AndBobsYourUncle’s version of Google assistant websever and able to get the broadcast stuff happning!!
MAy be my ignorance on dockers are making this difficult for me

Sir,Fantastic work and able to get your stuff going .!!
But I couldn’t get the generic comamnd working .For following things works from firefox browser
http://[HASSIO LOCAL IP]:5000/broadcast?message=hell there
http://[HASSIO LOCAL IP]:5000/command?message=broadcast hello there
But for me any generic google command is not working like
http://[HASSIO LOCAL IP]:5000/command?message=what is time now
though the above command gives me status “OK” - Can you pl help to resolve?

Is it possible to cast now?

When you issue a command like “what time is it ?” it’s actually executed on the device running the addon, so you won’t hear any response on your google home for instance.
This is the expected behavior and you can check the result in your activity log:
https://myactivity.google.com/myactivity?product=31

As far as I know, this is still not possible.
The script I provided in this previous post allows remote casting (podcast and news as well) but is more restrictive with the requirements:

I thought command are getting executed in Google HOme itself - Else How come the broadcast command is working - I mean Google home itself is announcing it 

The broadcast command is working because it’s 
 broadcasting. :smile:
The command is initiated on the device running the addon, then all Google Home devices connected to the same account receive the broadcasted message and play it.

Think of this addon like a virtual Google Assistant, you don’t send commands directly to your Google Home.

Did this stop working for anyone else yesterday? I didn’t have a chance to do any troubleshooting, but it wasn’t working yesterday afternoon for me. Will investigate more tonight.

Google devices have experienced serious outages 2 days ago, it has been resolved since then so you may need to reboot your devices first.

We're sorry to hear some of our users are experiencing issues with their Google Home and Chromecast. We're on it. Stay tuned for updates.

— Made by Google (@madebygoogle) June 27, 2018

Makes sense:grinning: - So is there any way in which I will be able to send a command to my Google Home(Hall Speaker) with a text command like “how is the weather” :cold_sweat:

If you are familiar with node.js you could install this server instead of the addon:

I have not tested this myself but it works similarly and has some additional predefined commands. The option you should look after is the parameter “converse”. Basically it just does a broadcast of the text response.
This trick works for simple text response, so “how is the weather” should be ok, but any command involving non “TTS-sound” such as “what is the sound of a dog?” would not work.

By the way, the “converse” parameter could be added to this addon with little efforts I think. @AndBobsYourUncle

2 Likes

Honestly, it might be great to be able to include an optional parameter flag to the “command” endpoint to rebroadcast the text response from google back to the google home.

So the textual response from the assistant to the command would get broadcasted. Might be nice for certain use cases.

1 Like

Broadcast seems to be down for me as well. Regular commands work as usual, just not broadcast.

Same for me, nothing plays out. Strangely, Google My Activity claims the command was successful. Before it used to say something went wrong.

1 Like

Same for me

Idem ditto
 I started working again last week, and now it doesn’t work again.
Oh come on Google!!!