Home Assistant Community Add-on: Pi-hole

I had the same problem. admin was working on SSL but port 80. Now it works with this config:

- platform: pi_hole
  host: xxx.duckdns.org:80
  ssl: true
  verify_ssl: false

Not able to get the ad-serving domains list download from the update list

[i] Neutrino emissions detected…
[i] Pulling blocklist source list into range…
[✓] Pulling blocklist source list into range

[i] Target: raw.githubusercontent.com (hosts)
[i] Status: Pending…
[✗] Status: Connection Refused
[✗] List download failed: no cached list available

[i] Target: mirror1.malwaredomains.com (justdomains)

[i] Target: sysctl.org (hosts)

[i] Target: zeustracker.abuse.ch (blocklist.php?download=domainblocklist)

[i] Target: s3.amazonaws.com (simple_tracking.txt)

[i] Target: s3.amazonaws.com (simple_ad.txt)

[i] Target: hosts-file.net (ad_servers.txt)

[i] Consolidating blocklists…
[✓] Consolidating blocklists
[i] Extracting domains from blocklists…
[✓] Extracting domains from blocklists
[i] 0 domains being pulled in by gravity
[i] Removing duplicate domains…
[✓] Removing duplicate domains
[i] 0 unique domains trapped in the Event Horizon

[i] Adding 6 blocklist source domains to the whitelist…
[✓] Adding 6 blocklist source domains to the whitelist
[i] Whitelisting 0 domains…
[✓] Whitelisting 0 domains
[i] Parsing domains into hosts format…
[✓] Parsing domains into hosts format
[i] Cleaning up stray matter…
[✓] Cleaning up stray matter

[✗] dnsmasq: no process found
[✓] DNS service is running
[✓] Pi-hole blocking is Enabled

1 Like

I’m having the same problem. I think the update to 0.4.0 did it because it was previously working.

im on 0.40 and im seeing the same when i update lists as @jakes.

also im getting a ton of errors in my logs - essentially looks like my hassio install cant resolve any external DNS entries. Network devices that are using the HASS (0.60) /Pihole for DNS are ok, but it seems like “on device” DNS is borked. (myq, darksky, lutron, yr, all return similar to these:)

Log Details (ERROR)
Tue Dec 19 2017 08:56:28 GMT-0400 (Atlantic Standard Time)

Unable to connect to Dark Sky. HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.darksky.net', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /forecast/8dd5ef52407677c9066c430ea218be36/44.669419,-63.816837?units=si (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x734d7950>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again',))

Do you recommend updating to HASS 0.60?

Hi,
I find out some strange behavior with active Pi-Hole DNS.

My Setup:

• Raspberry Pi 3 with Hassio and Pi-hole addon 0.4.0
  • Setting up pi-Hole IP to my DHCP DNS Server.

Things not working so far with active pi-hole DNS on my hassio pi:

• MariaDB addon not possible to load (recorder/history/logbook not working)
  • Node-Red addon not possible to install any modules
  • hostname resolution not working in pi-hole WEB UI

I’m not sure if its a problem with Pi-hole it self or the addon or hassio.

Edit:
I think a solution is to set an non pi-hole DNS Server to the ResinOS Network configuration file.
https://docs.resin.io/deployment/network/2.x/

@kolossboss that is the route i was going down - My PI was pulling from DHCP, but i think i need to set it static in the network config. My DHCP reservation was keeping it on the same IP.

once i flipped the DNS to my old pihole everything came back up with no issues - So i think its something with the passthrough or failover to the 2nd or upstream DNS (in mycase google)

I tested it too. If I use a separat raspberry for pi-hole, there are no problems.
Must be something todo with the pi-hole addon.

I think its time to make an issue request on github. I can to it tomorrow.

Hi there guys,

I’m sad to hear you are all having the same problem (as it seems).
I think it has to do with the following:

If you are using the PI-Hole add-on as a DHCP server for your network, please be sure your Hassio device has a static IP address. (Note: this is not the same as DHCP reservation)

If you have assigned the IP statically and still experience issues, please create an issue on the GitHub repository and add details about your installation, the add-on configuration JSON, and debug add-on output.

@frenck

I’m NOT using the pihole as my DHCP server. I added the pihole IP adresse as the DNS server for my “normal” DHCP Server.
At this moment. Hassio (ResinOS) has a static IP address and a static DNS Server which is different to pihole.
So all devices in my Network received the pihole DNS server execpt hassio.
And now its working fine except the Hostname resolution in PiHole Web UI. But this is not a big deal

That is indeed another setup that needs attention.
I will create some notes about updating the docs for these setups.

@kolossboss I think I have the same setup as you. How did you tell hassio about the pihole DNS address?

@wrique In my setup, hassio is now the only DHCP devices without the pihole DNS.
you can give hassio a static ip address/DNS Address by editing the resin configuration files ons the SD Card.
https://docs.resin.io/deployment/network/2.x/

@floari Kolossboss gave the answer to the problem!? So how can you have “the same” problem?

@frenck reading helps… I edited the ResinOS network config and now node-red and some other addons are working again, thanks :slight_smile:

Any idea how this will behave if you already have Home Assistant proxied through an nginx instance (on another pi) which exposes port 80 & 443 already. Might seem like pihole running on port 80 would conflict with my nginx proxy.

I am running on port 88 as I am running HA on port 80. The “OPEN WEB UI” does not append the port number. If you manually add it, it opens fine (i.e. http://192.168.0.62:88/admin/index.php). Seems to be working ok.

… you’ll need to change the port of pi-hile or HA in order to get both working :slight_smile: Both on same port will not work.

@iAutom8 Answered already; nevertheless, I personally do not use port 80 of the Nginx proxy add-on. So I’ve disabled it by putting null into the field of port 80 of the Nginx add-on.

I still haven’t figured out a solution for my problem. pi hole not able to download blocklist files.
I tried setting hass io with static IP address, that didn’t help.
My system shows eth0 has IP address 172.30.33.1. Not sure if it’s relevant to my problem.