Home Assistant Community Add-on: Pi-hole

Hi there guys,

I’m sad to hear you are all having the same problem (as it seems).
I think it has to do with the following:

If you are using the PI-Hole add-on as a DHCP server for your network, please be sure your Hassio device has a static IP address. (Note: this is not the same as DHCP reservation)

If you have assigned the IP statically and still experience issues, please create an issue on the GitHub repository and add details about your installation, the add-on configuration JSON, and debug add-on output.

@frenck

I’m NOT using the pihole as my DHCP server. I added the pihole IP adresse as the DNS server for my “normal” DHCP Server.
At this moment. Hassio (ResinOS) has a static IP address and a static DNS Server which is different to pihole.
So all devices in my Network received the pihole DNS server execpt hassio.
And now its working fine except the Hostname resolution in PiHole Web UI. But this is not a big deal

That is indeed another setup that needs attention.
I will create some notes about updating the docs for these setups.

@kolossboss I think I have the same setup as you. How did you tell hassio about the pihole DNS address?

@wrique In my setup, hassio is now the only DHCP devices without the pihole DNS.
you can give hassio a static ip address/DNS Address by editing the resin configuration files ons the SD Card.
https://docs.resin.io/deployment/network/2.x/

@floari Kolossboss gave the answer to the problem!? So how can you have “the same” problem?

@frenck reading helps… I edited the ResinOS network config and now node-red and some other addons are working again, thanks :slight_smile:

Any idea how this will behave if you already have Home Assistant proxied through an nginx instance (on another pi) which exposes port 80 & 443 already. Might seem like pihole running on port 80 would conflict with my nginx proxy.

I am running on port 88 as I am running HA on port 80. The “OPEN WEB UI” does not append the port number. If you manually add it, it opens fine (i.e. http://192.168.0.62:88/admin/index.php). Seems to be working ok.

… you’ll need to change the port of pi-hile or HA in order to get both working :slight_smile: Both on same port will not work.

@iAutom8 Answered already; nevertheless, I personally do not use port 80 of the Nginx proxy add-on. So I’ve disabled it by putting null into the field of port 80 of the Nginx add-on.

I still haven’t figured out a solution for my problem. pi hole not able to download blocklist files.
I tried setting hass io with static IP address, that didn’t help.
My system shows eth0 has IP address 172.30.33.1. Not sure if it’s relevant to my problem.

:tada: Release Pi-hole v0.5.0

Full Changelog

This releases mainly upgrades to Pi-Hole v3.2.1, has fixed some bug reports and now supports running HTTP & HTTPS simultaneously.

:warning: This release has a breaking change :warning:

The web_port option has been replaced with http_port and https_port.
Please see the documentation for configuration details.

Added

• Allows for HTTP & HTTPS at the same time #18

Fixed

• Fixes an issue with Pi-hole and FTL versions displayed as N/A #19
  • Typo in container init
  • Fixes the enable/disable/clear functions of the query logs #20

Changed

• Prevents possible future Docker login issue
  • Pass local CircleCI Docker socket into the build container
  • Use image tagged as test as a cache resource
  • Updated maintenance year, it is 2018
  • Upgrades add-on base image to v1.3.1
  • Upgrades Pi-hole to v3.2.1

Removed

• Removes Microbadger notification hooks

The update is now available in your Hass.io panel

Updated 5.0

I am still getting errors when updating ad-server list… Please advice what could be going wrong for me?

[i] Target: raw.githubusercontent.com (hosts)
[i] Status: Pending…
[✗] Status: Connection Refused
[✗] List download failed: no cached list available
[i] Target: mirror1.malwaredomains.com (justdomains)

[i] Target: sysctl.org (hosts)

Nevermind this is fixed. With fixed ip Pi-hole works now fine

Hi Frenck,

Really love this add-on. Unfortunately I have some strange issue. When I first installed pi-hole 0.5 everything worked fine. But tonight I also installed DuckDNS. After this my pi doesn’t have any internet connection anymore. A lot of sensors like Buienradar, speedtest and also Nest are not functioning anymore. Also pi-hole can’t update his repositories.

I changed my configuration to fixed ip tonight:

[connection]
id=my-ethernet
type=ethernet
interface-name=eth0
permissions=
secondaries=

[wifi]
hidden=true
mode=infrastructure
ssid=My_Wifi_Ssid

[wifi-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=super_secret_wifi_password

[ipv4]
address1=10.0.0.20/24,10.0.0.10
dns=10.0.0.20;8.8.8.8;
dns-search=
method=manual

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=auto

Unfortunately without result. As soon as I disable the Pi-Hole add-on and reboot my internet comes back.

Any suggestions? It looks like a DNS problem for the pi itself.

Gr Peter

Hi,

I have the same issue as @jakes. Essentially pihole doesn’t block anything as the “domains on blocklist” is 0.
And i can’t update list. I get the same error.
I just performed a clean hassio install in a new SD card. Modified the resin-sample as follows:

[connection]
id=my-ethernet
type=ethernet
interface-name=eth0
permissions=
secondaries=

[ethernet]
mac-address-blacklist=

[ipv4]
address1=192.168.10.2/24,192.168.10.1
dns=192.168.10.2;192.168.10.1;
dns-search=
method=manual

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
dns-search=
method=auto

Then installed and activated pihole.

Any ideas?

1 Like

Yes, I have the same problem. I even tried the fresh install

Hey. For some reason the sensor isn’t showing up on my home screen, and adding the damn iframe basically causes my entire system to not load the Web UI for Hass. I’m running the latest version of Hassbian on a Pi3

I’m having the same issue as everyone, I cannot load any blocklist.

I’ll stick to my separate Pi with Pi-Hole for now. Keep up the great work!

The above example by @tanasi is faulty, which I guess a lot of people experience.
The DNS is pointing to itself, which causes issues at times Pi-Hole (dnsmasq) isn’t started yet.

:warning: Only use Pi-hole when your installation has configured a static IP. Secondly, please be sure it points to a working DNS entry and NOT ITSELF! e.g., use the DNS (IP) provided by your router, ISP or use a public one like 8.8.8.8

2 Likes