Companion app for iOS 2023.12: Let’s go!

my only ask is to include mTLS certificates, or optional user header key/value controllable pair so to add better Cloudflare WAF security for external access

1 Like

There’s something I wonder - why the iOS app is slower than running the UI in a browser? On Chrome and Safari page transitions are snappy, on the app there’s a bit of laggyness. Same experience on desktop as well. WebView can’t benefit from some kid of a hardware acceleration or something?

I’m also not seeing a thread list that looks like the screenshot. My Apple tbrs are separate and when I tap import credentials it gives me error 74.

You can use Siri Shortcut automations to do this currently and with an app. Personally, I always keep rotation lock on and just have an automation to turn it off and on when I open and close YouTube/Netflix.

I have exactly the same issue. :eyes:

Is a Face-id security option for the app on the roadmap as well now? There are FRs somewhere here and on github for this and AFAIK it is in the android version already available. I would appreciate to see such security option as well in the Apple Apps.

1 Like

Wonderful news and thanks to everybody who made iOS apps work to this present day.

Zac has been working on this, but there is an issue with iOS and external auth providers like authelia, etc. etc.

Can this be placed on the roadmap?
https://github.com/home-assistant/iOS/discussions/1719

I actually never missed any functionality on the iOS app.
And I just found out that iOS supports widgets. Others probably know this for years :wink:.
But I cannot select HA as a widget.
In my opinion this would be a great addition.

1 Like

What are the benefits of Thread integration?

That sounds great, my question, is a tvOS app, even if only with a small range of functions such as the Watch app, also in the planning stage?

3 Likes

hey @Juuergen and @Clam58

I did something like this in the past for the Apple tvOS

I have solved it so that the entities are automatically loaded into the tvOS app using groups.

We just use it mainly to activate/deactivate scenes or to check the temperature outside.

Excited to have you on board Bruno and can’t wait to see what you come up with

Carplay functionality would be amazing

5 Likes

Any chance you could add a feature to synchronize Home Assistant rooms to Apple Home?

You could simplify the adding of HomeAssistant to Apple Home as a collection of bridges, but just synchronizing the creation of rooms would be a great start!

Hello! Great news! :slight_smile:

What do you think about uploading current version of the app as “HomeAssistant Legacy” to AppStore so people with older hardware can still use it?

In my case, I have an iPad Mini and an iPad 2 in a drawer, always thinking of using it for hass, as the hardware is good but as they are old they don’t accept any updates or new software.

And on iOS it’s not as easy as in Android to have it done by myself, building an APK and installing it…

2 Likes

Latest companion app update on MacOS is broken. Not able to open the app. Works fine on iPhone and iPad. Have seen others mention the same thing. Any ideas?

I’d love to see Car Play integration so I can create a dashboard for controlling things like exterior lights, garage doors, locks, alarm, etc.

Thank you got it combined now.

Hi Bruno, good to have you on board. I’d like to clarify one thing related to the latest iOS update and Matter/Thread. According to Home Assistant Yellow Silicon Labs Multiprotocol Border Router - "Thread Border Router Required" - #5 by wmaker commissioning a Thread device directly in HA via iOS wasn’t possible at the time. Is this still the case?

(For context, I have a Yellow and I’m trying to add a Thread switch via iOS. This switch has Thread and Bluetooth, but no WiFi. I don’t have any other Thread Border Routers, just the OTBR integration.)

Hey @mtf169! I was struggling with the exact same problem. Then somewhere I read, that the iOS device you are using for that operation, has to belong to the owner of the HomeKit home. Which I wasn’t… After I switched to my wife’s phone, I managed to get the credentials successfully imported immediately. Maybe your device you are using also doesn’t belong to the owner?

1 Like