Companion App for iOS 2024.9: Getting ready for iOS 18

@bgoncal hey, coming back to the icon colour issue for scripts on Apple Watch. The latest version of the companion app doesn’t even allow you to pick any other colour except black. The picker stays on black and if you choose another colour it still jumps to black. Would you like a screen recording?

Having the same issue on my iPhone and iPad. Need to restart the device to complete the update

Im on it, a third party library we use was not making the conversion between hex string to swiftui Color (ironically while I was testing it was doing fine), apologies for that.

1 Like

I’m not finding the Home Assitant controls in the iOS Control Center, have they been released yet?

Are you using iOS 18? Try rebooting your device, they are released already, check if your app is updated as well

iOS 18 installed, HA Companion at 2024.09.02 (even tried with the beta), Device rebooted.

I don’t have the home assistant category in the Control Center screen. Do I need to active anything for third-party controls in iOS? :frowning:

Not really :confused: this is managed by Apple, perhaps it’s a bug in their side, what you can also do is to delete the app, reboot once more, install the app again (no clue if it will work but sometimes this triggers some reset on these parts of the iOS)

Uninstalled / Reinstalled the app, now I can see everything. Thanks!

1 Like

So, I have only used Apple Watch for activating specific scenes, those have been originally setup as IOS Actions in the app long time ago. It seems that I still need those scenes to be selected/activated in actions view for me to see them in the watch configuration view in the companion app.

Suddenly with 2024.9.3 (2024.894) from TestFlight all those scenes started requiring confirmation before running them without me changing anything.

When I started to investigate, I found the release blog post mentioning the confirmation option and some mentions about it in this comment thread, but no reference to a real documentation anywhere. Also I can’t find the option itself anywhere in the app.

This surely can’t be intentional functionality now? I fully understand the rationale behind adding such an option and it’s an amazing addition, but don’t see why it would be the default for old actions like mine.

2 Likes

I used iOS actions to toggle the gate and garage door from my wrist. Obviously I can move these actions to scripts, but I would really prefer to have a selected set of entities available in the watch menu to also see their current state (i.e. if the gate/garage is currently open or closed) prior to sending the action/activating the script.
I am aware that traffic to and from the watch is limited and complications for example are only getting updated every quater hour, but notifications are pushed through aswell, so why not entity state changes for a limited number of entities?

This would also improve the useability of Apple Car Play, where the iOS Action List is the default view, but I rather navigate to the cover sub-page to see the gates actual state.

2 Likes

@bgoncal Hello, I have the issue that when I try to edit something in the dashboard via the Home Assistant app on my iPhone, it refreshes the window on its own. This is not convenient, as I can’t adjust my dashboard on my phone and always have to use my laptop. I have a video of this, but I can’t upload it here?

having the same problem here: Scenes on Apple Watch now always require confirmation and no option visible on watch or in the companion app to deactivate the new behavior.

1 Like

Hi,

I have noticed, that since IOS18 the location services are not updating reliably. I am using the Nabu Casa cloud and everything was working fine up and until IOS18.

Now my User is staying at home, most of the time. Occasionally, it detects me being not at home, but usually it doesn’t work anymore. I am on the latest Ha 2024.10, but no changes.

Am I the only one being affected ? Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Thanks
Frank

Same problem (all of a sudden getting asked to confirm running an action) and nothing change (aside from the HA update Wednesday. Also nowhere to disable this confirmation request feature.

Does anyone know how to disable these confirmations? They are quite annoying

2 Likes

I had the same issue. Going into ‘Settings > Companion App > Apple Watch - Configuration’ and then deleting and re-adding the items there gave me a ‘require confirmation’ toggle when adding them. The re-added entries have a new “>” option that allows you to view additional settings and change the ‘require confirmation’ toggle after the fact.

Same question. I noticed @submersedravioli remark, but that won’t work for synchronized actions. Would be nice to skip the confirmation for some actions that are not risky/harmful.

1 Like

I have neither risky nor harmful actions. And if they were deemed such, I’d really love to see the documentation stating such so that I could find a solution. Only alternative is to rewrite my all actions to scripts. However, then it seems as if I’d lose context data (about who the invoking user is) and also the name of my script would be the text shown on my watch (ie. giving it an alias is not possible)

1 Like

Yeah did the trick. thx.

You are working towards replacing iOS Actions with Scripts but you are already breaking a perfectly functioning thing with something that makes sense but doesn’t work.

Releasing the app in a state where Scripts are not actually triggered implies testing is insignificant to non-existant.

With iOS Actions I could just push 15 different actions from the server to 5 different watches but now everyone at home gets to waste an hour customizing buttons and checking if every one of these buttons will actually trigger a script (they don’t). It feels like you are trying to make a sysadmin out of everyone. Most of my family doesn’t care how a button appeared on their watch and what’s under the hood. They just want to press it and open a door. Now they get to navigate annoying menus and accept endless confirmations. Zero people are excited.

Even the title “Getting ready for iOS 18” implies it is not ready. It should be beta. It should not be on my phone/watch if I don’t want to be a beta tester. Let’s not celebrate this achievement yet.

3 Likes

I totally agree here. There is no reason for this sort of thing to ONLY be available to configure in the companion app. Even from a data management perspective, I’d much rather configure these things on the server and have them pushed out – that way I don’t have to muck about with reconfiguring each of the entries with the colours I want on each device.

PLEASE retain this functionality in the HA system YAML config (or, if you must, set a separate section in the system config where we can set up these actions).

With that in mind, we need the YAML config to allow us to turn off confirmations.