Companion App for iOS 2024.9: Getting ready for iOS 18

1 - Thats currently the expected behavior, you need to manually create a watch configuration via your iPhone. The first time you open the configuration screen it automatically migrates your actions.

2 - This issue has been fixed and should be released within iOS app v2024.9.2 (In the next week if no major issue shows up in the beta)

1 Like

The watch settings is neat but adding a scene doesn’t add scene icon but takes generic pallete icon. It works with scripts but not with scenes.

1 Like

Yes

Settings > Actions > Scene Actions: shows correct scene icons
Settings > Apple Watch > Configuration: shows only palette which can not be changed.

As always this is a true story for everybody concerned about privacy, but the other story is to explain them that their locaction is saved at home. But as you wrote long story short :slight_smile:

And what this “location permission category” is for?

I believe my example in the previous message is one use case, what it “IS” is a sensor that reflects the type of location permission that you provide the iOS app.

“Allow once”
“Allow always”
“Allow during app usage”
“Deny”

(Not sure if those are the exact names)

Hi @bgoncal thank you for explanation. I thought that this is somehow connected to Apple Watch but it is config for Companion App itself. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

Levels are: Never, Ask Next Time Or When I Share, While Using the App, Alway.

1 Like

Hi @bgoncal, are there any plans to provide redirect buttons that can go to specific views? As far as I can tell, we only have the option to create buttons for main dashboards.

Currently no plans, but you can access specific views creating a shortcut that opens a URL like:

homeassistant://navigate/lovelace/car?server=Home

This example opens a URL to navigate and also specify in which server if you want

1 Like

We have detached Scenes and Actions, so to customize the scene icon you have to change it in home assistant itself, in the same screen where you create a scene.

Nice, that works. Did not notice HA highjacks homeasisstant://, good to know.

I have a question. @bgoncal you said that the plan is to move away from iOS actions in favour of scripts. Correct?

And I have done so for Apple Watch (aside from the icon colour customisation issue). But HA for CarPlay doesn’t support scripts.

Is there going to be an option to to display scripts in CarPlay the same way we do for watch?

Yes, that’s in progress, there will be a CarPlay configuration screen exactly like for watch

2 Likes

Thanks for making this so much easier to use!

I currently use the event ios.action_fired to determine which device triggered the action (using sourceDeviceName) and then send a notification back to the device. Is there a way to do this with the new method of adding scripts directly on Apple Watch instead? It doesn’t look like the script_started event knows which device triggered it.

For context, I’m doing this in order to support sub-menus via notifications. Native sub-menus would be even better of course. But since iOS Actions will eventually be deprecated I’d love to have a solution going forward.

1 Like

Yes, but it does not work. When you change the icon during creation of the scene and then trying to set the scene in AW tha pallete icon is used eventhough the scene has different icon.

Currently it is not possible, but suggestion noted :white_check_mark:

1 Like

Got it, I’ll check whats happening

1 Like

The new app doesn’t work with Cloudflare tunnel. It says, the browser is not supported for SSO with google.
It worked fine until now.
I think, until now, HA app used the same webview as the browser?
And now, it is different? Like on Android?
(On amdroid I forked the app, to add a request header to all http request as an API key.)

(UPDATE: I added github as authentication method to the Cloudflare Zero Acces, and I could authenticate with that. So maybe, only google auth changed somehow.)

1 Like

I can’t get my icon color to stay white. Keeps changing back to black.

Here’s another vote for server-side customizations for Apple Watch. My other users will not want to set anything up manually on their side. I’d like to just have them all set the same from the server, so if iOS actions are discontinued, I’m hoping we can still have this capability for scripts and scenes.

1 Like

First of all, I appreciate your work a lot! The Companion App really is getting better and better! Thank you very much for your effort!

My question is: How can I select the page, which „Open Page“ in the Lock Screen - Widget is supposed to open? I tried pressing long when adding the widget, tried to reload the widgets, but I cannot get it to the right page. I just want to Open my default Dashboard, but the current page being opened is the second dashboard.

Thanks in advance.