Companion App with a Wired Network Connection using Internal IP

Here’s the situation. I have iPads acting as terminals mounted on the walls around my building. They are powered and connected to the network via a PoE injector connected back to a network switch. I get a local IP assigned to the iPad via the ethernet connection, and an ethernet network profile is created on the iPad. Wi-Fi is turned off.

I want the Home Assistant companion app to connect via Internal IP, but it insists on connecting to the Remote UI IP. Of course, if I am on Wi-Fi, that is not an issue; I can enter my SSID and it connects to the local IP. But this isn’t what I want it to do.

Should the companion app not see the network config of the device and at least try to connect locally? I even put my Terminal iPad on the same subnet as the Home Assistant machine and it still doesn’t bother trying to connect to the IP that it should see is on the same subnet.

I like having my Nebu Casa cloud subscription, but (FEATURE REQUEST) I should be able to tell the companion app to act as though the Remote UI IP does not exist.

Am I missing something simple? Is there already a way to do this? I am banging my head on the wall over something that seems like it should work!

Thanks for any input of discussion.

If these devices never leave the network, then just put the internal IP as the main Home Assistant URL in the app settings and leave the Internal URL empty. It will have only one to use, so it will always use that.

That’s the problem.

I have the local IP address in ‘Internal URL’, and in ‘External URL’ I uncheck ‘Home Assistant Cloud’ and I do not fill in an address. After I save, there is a dash in place of a URL for ‘External URL’ but ‘Connected via’ still says Remote UI URL and ‘Local Push’ is disabled.

I will post a picture when I get back to where it’s installed.

This is a pic explaining what I did above.

As you can see, no External URL entered, Internal URL is the local IP, but since I am connecting this iPad to an ethernet PoE for power and network access, and the Wi-Fi is disabled, it is connecting to Remote UI URL. This just doesn’t seem right.

If I globally disable Nabu Casa Cloud for this installation, then it connects just fine to the Internal URL.

Closed. See duplicate: Internal URL: WIFI & POE Ethernet - #3 by MrBond