Companion app, zones, high accuracy location issues

I want my automations to trigger on my arrival, and quickly. Ideally my garage door opens before I need it to.

I am using the Android companion app with high accuracy mode. This wasn’t working as well as I wanted so I created a second zone with a wide radius around my home. It’s supposed to only activate high accuracy mode while I’m in the second zone, so the 99% of the time I’m driving it’s not on draining my battery.

Is there a guide to making this work? Because my automations didn’t work yesterday and I don’t know how to debug this.

You want to take a look at the High Accuracy mode here: Location | Home Assistant Companion Docs

Basically you should not create a zone overlapping your home. You should enable the “High accuracy mode only when entering zone” option and set the “High accuracy mode trigger range for zone (meters)” to something like 500 meters perhaps (play around with this value to see what works for you).

What will happen then is, when you approaching your house and you enter this “expanded” home zone (ex. 500 meters away), the app will detect that and switch to High Accuracy Mode.
To fine tune when the garage door will open you could use a proximity sensor that will open the door when you are x meters away from your home (again, try to experiment with these values).

To troubleshoot the location updates you can go to Go to [Settings] > Companion app > Troubleshooting > Location tracking and enable location history. The app will now keep a log of all location updates received in the last 48 hours. More info here: Troubleshooting | Home Assistant Companion Docs

Hope this helps!

2 Likes