Compass Card - Points you in the right direction šŸ§­

It was actually the wind speed I wanted to increase the font of to match the other cards:

Screenshot_2020-09-05 Overview - Home Assistant

My example, doesnt show the speed, but degrees, but this is the secondary entity shown large in degrees.

I made the second line the same as the state value in the mini-graph-card. To get the extrema size should not be to difficult.

If you rightclick on the extrema in the mini-graph-card, and check what css is applied and you can copy those to the ha-card.type-custom-compass-card .compass .direction p span in your theme. If the extrema has sizes in em, use rem instead. If you cant get it to work, leave a message and Iā€™ll see what I can do

1 Like

Perfect!

I took those two lines out of my graph card class once I realised you were applying them to the card type:

ha-card.type-custom-compass-card .compass .direction p span {
      font-size: 14px;
      opacity: 0.75;
      font-weight: 400;
    }

ha-card.type-custom-compass-card {
      --state-icon-color: var(--paper-item-icon-color, var(--state-icon-color));
      --secondary-text-color: var(--primary-text-color, var(--secondary-text-color));
    }

ha-card.type-custom-compass-card .compass .direction p {
      font-size: 2.4em;
      line-height: 2rem;
      font-weight: 400;
    }

Thanks again.

1 Like

Small update/preview. SVG compass is progressing nicely:
Next up the other indicators, and the color setting from config and the configurable color ranges.

4 Likes

Hey @tomvanswam,
Thanks for this great integration. Using it with the Ecowitt custom integrations and it works & looks great.
I have a feature idea that I believe would make this the ultimate card for wind info. Iā€™d love to be able to see at a glance both wind direction in letters (N) and degrees (0Ā°), wind speed and gust speed. Something like in this image (screen grab from Misol weather station).

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad you like the card.

On the github, some more ideaā€™s have been mentioned to get more info in the card, so I will take your examples into consideration when working on the open issues.

Currently Iā€™m changing the compass on the card to be svg based, instead of css, which would make it easier to implement multiple indicators on 1 compass, and change colors depending on the secondary entity provided.
Currently Iā€™m at this stage (availavle as v0.5.0-dev pre-release in HACS):
192.168.2.50_8123_lovelace_test (1)
I try to make the card use as much styling from the vanilla sensor-card and try not to get to much different fonts/font-sizes/font-weights and stuff because the clean look of the card will dissapear quite quickly. Putting more emphasis on the secondary entity was an idea from github which made sense and did not mess to much with the clean look.
Adding more info is mostly a layout trade-off, e.g. adding the degrees of an indicator to the abbreviation seems easy, however in some languages the abbreviations are quite a bit longer than a max of 3 letters. So this could end up overflowing outside the compass.
Using the left/right side of the card could be a possibility, but when viewing on a smaller screen, of (as in the screenshot) using the card in a horizontal-stack leaves no room for additional info to the left and right.

The weatherstation looks great (what make/model is it?) Due to the responsive and configurable nature of the lovelace infterface itā€™s not as easy to make it like that and keep everyone using the card happy. (also because some people use the card for non wind related info).

Any ideas for a interface update are more than welcome, as I find it difficult to think of stuff like this on my own :wink:

1 Like

Is it possible to get the compass into a badge?

1 Like

What an excellent idea! (and a proper challenge)

Iā€™ll add it to the todo list, but it might take some time as I need to finish the current update first and research how to do this.

2 Likes

So I donā€™t see the wind speed on that card now?

Yes you will.

The screenshot has the secondary entity set to the same as the first entity. In my dev HA I use input_numbers for the secondary entities, however the sensor-card cannot display input_numbers. So to check if the secondary entity displays the same way as the state on the sensor-card I needed to set the secondary_entity to a sensor. Thinking of it now this might be a bit confusing in the context of the previous question.

Haha yeah well it for sure confused meā€¦ thanks for explaining.

Iā€™ll create template sensors for the input sensors, so I can screenshot with an ā€˜actualā€™ secondary sensor, and stop confusting everyone :wink:

Cheers for getting back. Yup, your choice of not messing too much with default css makes sense. I guess adding one more line of text at the bottom would be doable and allow users flexibility in their choice of data to be shown.
Working with svg can be a pain as I found out with floorplan pre-lovelace. Am using the dev card and the result is great.

The weather station is a HP2550, Misol branded. Those guys manufacture for AmbienWeather and a bunch of brands than can be bought in the West. I believe this is a rebranding of FineOffset as menus and electronics look like theyā€™ve been done by the same people.
I pull the sensor data into Hass via the Ecowitt website and a readily available custom component. I actually bought a GW1000 Wifi adapter thinking this would be needed, but realise the weather station could fo this direct. Not the first time i waste 15usd on something not neededā€¦ The website from the Ecowitt platform is great. On it, they do exactly what ypu suggested with different sensors cards in a horizontal stack. I may try to do something like this and post back here if itā€™s worth everyoneā€™s time. See the link below:
Ecowitt

2 Likes

Next prerelease Iā€™m adding the degrees as optional next to the abbreviation (and will make the abbreviation hideable as well). The second line of additional info will have wait till upcoming release is done.

Thanks fotr the info on the weaterstation, mine is almost due for replacement and this looks like a good candidate for that.

1 Like

Aliexpress for 160usd
Although you can also just buy the sensor arrays and add a GW1000 to link with hass for just 100usd plus shippingā€¦
In any case, itā€™s nice to be able to add soil moisture, temp/hygro, plus pm 2.5 sensors at ok rates.

1 Like

Instead of a minor version update (to v0.5.0), next release will be a mayor release (v1.0.0) as stuff is gonna break very badly :frowning:
The config was not flexible enough to do what I wanted, so that needed a big overhaul.
Still have to add the style changing on entity updates, this is already forseen in the config change, so should be a fairly easy thing to do now.
And fix the visual editor, at least for the same stuff that was possible with the visual editor before. To implement all new options would be to much for the visual editor imo.

Whats in v1.0.0?

• Multiple indicators per card
  • Multiple value entities per card
  • Use attribute of entity for value, instead of state
  • Color picking for almost everything (title, icon, circle, indicators, abbreviations, values, units (all separate, and all these things will be configurable with a dynamic color depending on a configurable entity(+attribute) value range)
  • Show/Hide setting for almost everything (title, icon, circle, indicators, abbreviations, values, units (all separate, and all these things will be configurable with a dynamic show/hide depending on a configurable entity(+attribute) value range)
  • Sneak peak:

What will break:

• Your current card :stuck_out_tongue:
    • Complete yaml config structure is changed (Iā€™ll add a v0.x.x to v1.0.0 instruction on the repository)
    • Sneak peak:

I know, the example screenshot looks like a carnival and Iā€™m not going to configure mine like that, but if you want to, you can do so.
By default the plain/similar to the sensor-card look will stay. Itā€™s up to you to make it as ā€˜expressiveā€™ as you like :wink:

4 Likes

Hi @monkey-house, you can remove those points from the graph card using the option

show:

v1.0.0-alpha1 is out (enable pre-releases on HACS).

To soften the pain of the breaking changes, a semi-auto update procedure is available.

Check the README.md Options section for the advanced config thatā€™s now available.

Still some finetuning to do, and implement the dynamic styling before ready for 1.0.0 release, but weā€™re getting there.

Well this doesnā€™t work and looks identical to previousā€¦

- type: 'custom:compass-card'
            header:
              title:
                value: Wind Direction
            indicator_entities:
              - sensor: sensor.bom_gosford_wind_direction
                indicator:
                  type: arrow_inward
            value_entities:
              - sensor: sensor.bom_gosford_wind_speed_kmh
            compass:
              north:
                show: true
                offset: 0

Missing direction entity

Previous config:

- type: 'custom:compass-card'
            entity: sensor.bom_gosford_wind_direction
            secondary_entity: sensor.bom_gosford_wind_speed_kmh
            direction_offset: 0
            name: Wind Direction
            compass:
              indicator: arrow_inward
              show_north: true

looks like this:

Ah I see the error.

If I do the semi-auto it does this:

type: 'custom:compass-card'
indicator_sensors:
  - sensor: sensor.bom_gosford_wind_direction
    indicator:
      type: arrow_inward
value_sensors:
  - sensor: sensor.bom_gosford_wind_speed_kmh
compass:
  north:
    show: true
header:
  title:
    value: Wind Direction

So if it IS indicator_sensors the docs need to say that instead of indicator_entities etcā€¦