Compatible WiFI hardware?

I would like to update my (very simple) home automation system. I had one that was Insteon-based and it generally worked. I tried Z-Wave, using a Aeotec Z-Stick Z2, but could not get it to control devices from more than about 10’. We do, however, have good WiFI in the house and would like to go that route.

My questions for this group:

1. Are there WiFi devices that are compatible with Home Assistant?
  2. Are these devices cloud-free, i.e., can I configure them locally?

I am also very open to other suggestions for how to implement the HA system. The basic system comprises two controlled light switches and three controlled outlets. At some point, I would like to add my thermostat and sprinkler system.

Looking forward to your replies! Thanks.

I have Yeelight lights and love them. There is a Hass component to support them. They run wifi and are cloud-free. You can get E27 or striplilght. Also have cool effects if you get the RGB ones. I bought 3 more last night as they are currently on special at Banggood

Just as a heads up, even though they run without a cloud connection for HA they still constantly phone home. I have them blocked from external access in my router to prevent their phoning home.

Yeah, I know about that. I was actually looking for how to block it, can you please tell me what port or whatever I need to use? I guess I just block all internet traffic to those IP’s…

Yeah I gave mine static IPs and the blocked their traffic outside my network. How you accomplish that depends on your router model.

Thanks for the replies. I am not interested in devices like YeeLight - would rather have the control at the outlet and/or switch. So, let me re-ask my question: Are there any WiFi controllable 110 VAC outlets and/or switches that are compatible with HA?

I did some more looking and found that there is a fair amount of information in the https://home-assistant.io/components/ ‘folder’. One problem - the Switches section is far too broad as it includes everything from IP switches to wall outlets. I do not know who maintains this page, or what the underlying technology is, but a batter means of categorizing would be very helpful. For example, it would be super helpful if I could use tags to filter ‘AC’, ‘outlet’, and ‘wifi’ - would provide me with the specific pages that are of interest.

1 Like

I use z-wave in this instance and I don’t have any problems with range at all. Being in Western Australia our houses are double brick (ie: internal walls are also brick) and the signal seems to get around without any trouble.

A lot of people are using Sonoff gear, I haven’t tried them myself.

Otherwise brands like TP-Link and D-Link also make plug-in socket switches

Sonoff switches I believe are WiFi enabled that if flashed with a third party firmware would work for you. There are several different models available.

Thanks for the pointers to Sonoff - I had not previously found those devices. These look like a great place to start, especially when combined with third-party firmware.

(I tried to make both sparkydave’s and gumbo’s reply as the solution, but could only check one of them - both are good responses.)