Completely locked out of home-assistant on rpi4

I don’t remember if I noticed this the first time I installed but I tried to access my instance via http://hassio.local:8123 and was met by a login page. I tried multiple users and passwords but none would let me in. I found a guide to reset the client password by deleting some files but I don’t have access to that either. SSH’ing gives me an “access denied (public-key,keyboard-interactive)” error and so I try to follow the guide for creating new keys but that seems to require adding the authorized key in the hassio config, which I can’t access in the first place, ironic? Next I finally try to access via console/hassio CLI and don’t see any clear options or even ways to access the homeassistant filesystem. On hassio, I type login which drops me in what appears to be the system hosting docker as opposed to homeassistant. Back to hassio CLI, I tried playing around with the homeassistant subcommand which exposes a method to change a password but I think that’s for API access and not the web interface.

homeassistant is otherwise still active since it still responds to commands I programmed a while ago. I’ve been trying to access the damn system for a few days now and I don’t want to start over since I don’t have a backup of my configs.

I’m running homeassistant v0.101.2 on a Raspberry PI 4.

Shortly after I posted this, I finally found my answer in this post: How to get access at damn host system?

The config directory was mounted as /mnt/data/supervisor/homeassistant. From there I was able to remove the files and reset my interface password. This procedure needs better documentation I feel.

So submit the changes you feel are missing. Documentation relies on the community

Done: Update configuration.markdown by mdimatul · Pull Request #11118 · home-assistant/home-assistant.io · GitHub

1 Like