Complications don't work

I’m not entirely sure what the status of complications is supposed to be, I read some confusing things, but as far as I can see, right now, using the latest iOS app (both beta and release) and latest version of Home Assistant - complications don’t work.

Whether I use a fixed string or a variable, whichever type of complication and which screen, they never update.

Has anyone managed to get them working?

1 Like

Same here. Hope someone knows the answer

1 Like

Well, I’m glad it’s not just me being stupid then, hopefully there’ll be an update soon as I’m really looking forward to making use of them :slight_smile:

1 Like

They do work but are slow to update. Tricks I’ve found that help.

• Make sure you have set up a template in the App first before adding the complication to the watch face.
  • Make sure the preview button gives a working result
  • Keep the app open on the “Apple Watch” screen while adding complication using the Watch App
  • Be patient it takes a little while to update

I know there is a complete overhaul of the watch app planned to fully exploit watchOS 6

I’m fairly sure they’re just not functioning at all right now - unless “a little to update” is more than 3 days, they don’t update :slight_smile:

Even using a static string of text, it never shows up on the watch. I set up a complication in each of the screens and haven’t had any of them update.

I created a specific watch face full of complications for testing, but it’s never shown anything, it goes from “Not configured” to “-----” or showing the Home Assistant logo. Clicking on the logo takes me to the actions which seem to work fine, but still no content on the complications aside from “—”.

I should add that you need to leave that particular watch face on. If you swipe across to another they won’t try to update. In my experience the lines normally mean that the watch has recognised that it should use a complication and is just awaiting the first sync. In the picture below the large time is the watch time, the other two are complications using {{ states("sensor.time") }}, see second image. If I leave this face selected, I’ve not seen it be more than 10 minutes behind today.

1 Like

Thanks for this Tom, it’s super useful as I’d not found many examples.

I’ve setup a watch face almost exactly as you have but substituted one of the sensor.time for sensor.external_temp (one of my working sensors). Preview output, for some reason, gives me “unknown” for sensor.time but works fine on my sensor.external_temp.

I’m saving it in the Home Assistant by going “back -> back -> done”, which I assume is how you save. Just looking for any quirks I may be doing wrong :\

So far the watch face I setup to test with is still showing “—” etc. However, the original/main watch face is nowing showing output from the sensor! :slight_smile:

Success of a sort, just need to work out what the magic incantation is that caused it to work! :slight_smile:

Yeah getting around to writing some docs on the complications is on my to do list. I might get some time to do it this weekend.

You’re correct about the saving method. The fact you’re getting unknown as a result in the preview makes me think there is something wrong with your Jinja2 template. Might be worth using the the Template page of Developer Tools in HA to check that.

Did you ever solved this? My sensor is Initially working fine and showing the correct value but it never updates itself.

1 Like

I have the same. It says its updates in every 30 minutes, but only if you open home asssitant app on the watch.

Nope, gave up in the end, it didn’t work at all.

I have the problem in the companion app - in that as you can see, there is a string value but the app is showing it as unknown