ConBee II with HA on Synology DSM 7.0 (Virtual Machine)

This seemed to work! but then it has to restart the HA service, and all of a sudden i could no longer connect to the device. i even lost the device placement that you showed in the second picture. Has this happened to anyone else?

Oh im just stupid i guess. Instead of adding deCONZ integration i assumed the the Zigbee that showed up was the one to use.

This is not the one that can import all entities later on. So my problems seemed to be solwed!

1 Like

Glad to hear, that it works for you as well.
At first I didn’t get, that you need both, the Add-On and the Integration - kinda stupid I guess, but that’s where the documentation is lacking :smiley:

Exactly! Still there is issues with the USB if the VM och NAS reboots and you have to demount and then mount it agin for it to work. and it takes a while before all units are found again.

Well, can’t say anything 'bout that since I never shut down my NAS or VM :grin:

1 Like

USB automatic discovery is meant for native Home Assistant core components like the ZHA integration:

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/community-help-wanted-to-whitelist-all-compatible-zigbee-and-z-wave-usb-adapters-for-automatic-discovery-in-home-assistant-os/344412

ZHA integration support ConBee/RaspBee adapters nativly without the need to use deCONZ/Phoscon:

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha#discovery-via-usb-or-zeroconf

I guess the idea is that most people who run deCONZ/Phoscon do so on a separate computer from the Home Assistant core instance and instead connect to deCONZ/Phoscon over the network via TCP/IP

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/deconz/

Just click the “IGNORE” button for the ZHA discovery and then search for deCONZ and setup yourself.

Has anyone managed to get this configuration (Synology on DSM 7, running HA on VM with Conbee 2) working with zigbee2mqtt add-on?
I’m struggling to start the add-on for the first time and I get Error while starting zigbee-herdsman every time.
I have set adapter: deconz in zigbee2mqtt config and conbee stick is visible in HA hardware.

After a few hours I found out that the default HA integration, that automatically starts when Conbee 2 is recognized, must be removed.
Everything works now.

Anybody else had problems with the Conbee stick randomly & regularly unmounting itself in the virtual server.?

2 Likes

Yes, I do. Happens once a month I think.
Don’t know why… don’t know how to debug this.

Yep, I was having this issue in that about 1 in every few HA restarts I’d lose the ConBee.
I found plugging it into Windows to do a firmware update it would continually bounce between states - until you “captured it” for use.
About two weeks ago I finally cracked it, spun up Zigbee2mqtt in a Docker instance and moved all my devices over to that, removed the add-on from HA and have since restarted HA with absolutely no issues (i.e. loss of Zigbee devices) since then.

1 Like

Do you run zigbee2mqtt on the same NAS?

I sure do!

After starting of add-on my Conbee disappears and is not available in Deconz. Any idea?

Hey @Tamiami, do you use the integration as well?

@Magix3D Okay again, now its weekend :slight_smile:
I used Docker for a long time with two containers for HA and Conbee. Based on issues with last DSM update I would like to change VM, Bluetooth installation is easier to install as well. My current setup is HA in VM and Conbee still in Docker container. Now I would like to implement Conbee to the HA setup as well.

If I follow the setup I can choose the Conbee stick within the settings. After the start of the add-on the stick will disapear. Means the stick is not available in Deconz interface and also in the add-on settings.

So… what is wrong or what do you need to support?

Regards

Hey @Tamiami, you actually don’t need Docker at all.
DSM natively supports USB devices with a VM, so you can just delete you docker package and select the ConBee as USB device in your VM settings.
After a restart of your DSM it should be recognized by the addon and you should be able to use the integration as well :slight_smile:

@Magix3D That is exactly what I have tried. But as mentioned several times. After start of plug-in the stick disapears. I guess something is wrong…

Hi,
i have problems with Synology VMM and the conbee II stick too. I can add the stick via usb in the VMM UI to my HA install. Afterwards i can also add the stick in my HA.
But after a couple of time, my VM automaticly dismount the usb device from my HA. Anybody could fix this meanwhile?

Hi all.

yesterday I apply on my DS 220+ the last official update DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 1.

My Homeassistant is running as virtual machine by using DSM “Virtual Machine Manager” and before the update the dongle Conbee was running inside HASSIO properly.

After the update it seems the intgration Deconz is not anymore able to see the USB port where the dongle is plugged, but within the virtual machine manager it’s properly recognized.

I tried plug/unplug, restart and other similar stuff w/o success.