Config file hidden inside @docker/volumes

I installed Home Assistant on my Synology and everything seems to be working. However, I made a mistake during installation: Instead of creating the folder for configuration I assumed incorrectly that the folder for the configuration would be created when I specified it in the installation command line. It wasn’t, and instead of stopping with an error the installation continued and now everything, including the configuration.yaml file, is inside the actual installation in @docker/volumes, in the folder with the very long numeric/hex name.

Is there any way to get the config file out of there without reinstalling? And if not, how do I do a clean uninstall to start again. I’ve searched for uninstall instructions but so far I’ve only found upgrading information…

I don’t have a synology, but in general with docker the procedure is just to delete the container.

Then create the necessary directory and run docker again.

Thanks! In the meantime I figured out how to remove it, first using the rem command via SSL and then deleting the image as well in the Docker panel in the Synology interface. I then created the folder and re-ran the installation. It really did re-install, because it re-downloaded all the components. However, nothing at all showed up in the home-assistant folder I had created in volume1 and pointed to in the command line.

So I’m still back where I started and unable to configure. The configuration file is once again hidden deep inside the protected image folder — I can locate it with find, but editing it would be next to impossible.

Can you show your run command that you’re using?

Sure, sorry I forgot to post that. Here you go – I got this from the HA instructions for installing on Synology:

sudo docker run -d --name=“home-assistant” -v /volume1/home-assistant -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro --net=host homeassistant/home-assistant

Never mind, I figured it out. The config part should have been:

-v /volume1/home-assistant:/config

Brain fart.

1 Like

i have included -v /volume1/home-assistant:/config

but i still can not find the config files

any ideas ?

Lee

They will be in this directory.