Configuration file

Why would I get a “File not found: config/configuration.yaml” error? HA is running. I can open and view it. WTF

Where do you see this error?

Does the file exist?

Config is the directory that you find when you login to hassio via SSH.

In the HA under Configuration when I click “Check Configuration”

So I had to re-initialize everything again. The problem comes when this is added at the beginning of my configuration.yaml file:

homeassistant:
  # Name of the location where Home Assistant is running
  name: Home
  # Location required to calculate the time the sun rises and sets
  latitude: 43.535227
  longitude: -116.300143
  # Impacts weather/sunrise data (altitude above sea level in meters)
  elevation: 0
  # metric for Metric, imperial for Imperial
  unit_system: imperial
  # Pick yours from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones
  time_zone: America/Boise
  # Customization file
  customize: !include customize.yaml
  auth_providers:
    - type: homeassistant

Is something to do with the new version? How do I add the customization file and specific lat/long?

For my taste I prefer to split the configuration. The reason is that if I have a problem I want to step back. To step back I just need to comment one line, which is including the faulty file.

In the case like yours, I set this line on the configuration.yaml

homeassistant: !include customize.yaml

Then the customize.yaml I started to write my customizations. Of course there’s to skip one indentation.
Similar to yours, it might be

# Name of the location where Home Assistant is running
name:
# Location required to calculate the time the sun rises and sets
latitude:
longitude:
# Impacts weather/sunrise data (altitude above sea level in meters)
elevation:
# metric for Metric, imperial for Imperial
unit_system:
# Pick yours from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones
time_zone:
customize:
  person.myself:
    entity_picture: /local/Myself.jpg
   person.mywife: 
    entity_picture: /local/MyWife.jpg

Note the difference.
If you use the way you posted, you’ll need another file which is called customize.yaml. For testing it might be empty. Later you can start to populate it. Just keep checking that the additions will pass the validity test, prior to reload or restart hassio.

Do you get the error if you remove the “customize: !include customize.yaml” line and leave everything else there?

Or are you saying you are getting the error by having the “homeassistant:” section in the configuration.yaml file?

Commenting in configuration.yaml, the include won’t be considered, therefore any error in it.
You may try to add with the first post formula. But I don’t have experiences in such method. It will be sort of try&fail. Just consider to test your configuration prior restarting HA, otherwise you may face that it won’t start at all.

I’m sorry I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

I use a very similar set up to the OP and mine works fine.

Here is the start of my configuration.yaml file:

homeassistant:
  name: NUC Docker
  latitude: !secret lat
  longitude: !secret long
  elevation: 866
  unit_system: imperial
  time_zone: America/Indiana/Indianapolis
  auth_providers:
    - type: homeassistant
    - type: trusted_networks
      trusted_networks:
        - 192.168.1.0/24
        - 172.17.0.0/24
  whitelist_external_dirs:
    - '/config/www/snapshots'
    - '/config/lovelace_views'
  packages: !include_dir_named packages
  customize: !include_dir_merge_named customizations/

then in my config directory I have another directory called “customizations” and in there are several other “*.yaml” files that contain various customizations.

However you could just replace the last line with the one the OP had in theirs and it would also work as long as the customize.yaml file is in the same directory as configuration.yaml.

that’s why I was asking for clarification on if it had to do specifically with the !include line for “customize:” or with the entire “homeassistant:” section in general.

So I was finally able to get it to work just by adding a blank line at the beginning of the code. Weird.