Configuration for Minimote

I included my minimote into my network as one of my first few zwave devices.

It got added fine but there is no indication of what button is pressed that I could see.

Then I found this page which has an automation configuration to address this.

I added the text into my automations.yaml.
The file was empty with only inside. I don’t know if I was supposed to keep the brackets but looking at other peoples examples I don’t see them so I remove them and replaced with the following

- id: mini_1_pressed
    alias: 'Minimote Button 1 Pressed'
    trigger:
      - platform: event
        event_type: zwave.scene_activated
        event_data:
          entity_id: zwave.aeotec_dsa03202_minimote
          scene_id: 1
  - id: mini_1_held
    alias: 'Minimote Button 1 Held'
    trigger:
        event_data:
          scene_id: 2
  - id: mini_2_pressed
    alias: 'Minimote Button 2 Pressed'
    trigger:
        event_data:
          scene_id: 3
  - id: mini_2_held
    alias: 'Minimote Button 2 Held'
    trigger:
        event_data:
          scene_id: 4
  - id: mini_3_pressed
    alias: 'Minimote Button 3 Pressed'
    trigger:
        event_data:
          scene_id: 5
  - id: mini_3_held
    alias: 'Minimote Button 3 Held'
    trigger:
        event_data:
          scene_id: 6
  - id: mini_4_pressed
    alias: 'Minimote Button 4 Pressed'
    trigger:
        event_data:
          scene_id: 7
  - id: mini_4_held
    alias: 'Minimote Button 4 Held'
    trigger:
        event_data:
          scene_id: 8

This results in the following in my log.

2018-06-21 09:32:04 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config] Invalid config for [automation]: required key not provided @ data[‘action’]. Got None. (See /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/configuration.yaml, line 104). Please check the docs at Automation - Home Assistant
2018-06-21 09:32:04 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config] Invalid config for [automation]: required key not provided @ data[‘action’]. Got None. (See /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/configuration.yaml, line 104). Please check the docs at Automation - Home Assistant
2018-06-21 09:32:10 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Timer got out of sync. Resetting

But I can’t figure out what is wrong. I have so much to learn hear so sorry if I am missing something obvious.

This works for me

- alias: 'Minimote Button Pressed or Held'
  trigger:
    event_data:
      entity_id: zwave.aeotec_minimote_1
  action:
  - service: homeassistant.toggle
    data_template:
      entity_id: >
        {% set map = {1: 'light.bedroom_lamp_one',
                      2: 'light.bedroom_lamp_one',
                      3: 'light.bedroom_lamp_two',
                      4: 'light.bedroom_lamp_two',
                      5: 'light.bedroom_ceiling_light',
                      6: 'light.bedroom_ceiling_light',
                      7: 'switch.bedroom_fan',
                      9: 'switch.bedroom_fan'} %}
        {{ map[trigger.event.data.scene_id|int] }}

Even numbers are push, odd are hold

Wow that’s much easier…might have to test this out and condense my automations

I will say looking closer at your errors, you likely have a typo somewhere in your automation.yaml. If this does not work, make sure to check any other recently added automations

I found the issue, the page I found doesn’t bother to mention that I need to add an action. It just says

Blockquote Here’s a handy configuration for the Aeon Labs Minimote that defines all possible button presses. Put it into automation.yaml.

no mention that you need to add the actions you want. I realize this would be obvious to someone that knows how to configure an automation but this is my first attempt. So I was missing a LOT of common knowledge that is assumed by most of the documentation.

As a side question. Anyone have suggestions on how to get up to speed on all of this stuff? I have been reading a lot of posts but most of them have me completely confused because I don’t know what anyone is talking about. I have been reading the documentation also but it too seems to assume you already understand a LOT.

In case anothe newbie happens on this thread. This is what I changed the config to for button press 1 (I commented the rest out until I need them)

- id: mini_1_pressed
    alias: 'Minimote Button 1 Pressed'
    trigger:
        event_data:
          scene_id: 1
    action:
        data:
          entity_id: light.color_light

The last obstacle was incorrect indentation on “action:” indication is key here. The error I has was action was invalid but it wasn’t invalid for automation: it was invalid when indented and therefor applied to trigger:
I think that is just a yaml thing I need to learn more about.

1 Like

What do you mean by speed? Fan Speed? Also I used

action:

because I want it to turn the light on if its off, or off if its on, aka toggle

for fan speed you’d want something like this

action:
  - service: fan.set_speed
    entity_id: fan.frog_fan
    data:
      speed: low

There are probably ways you can get that will allow you to increase the speed on each press, or you could set one button for each speed (low, medium, high) and a press of off?

It gets easier quickly. :slight_smile:

“Up to speed” is an expression meaning to learn about something in enough detail to understand others on the topic.

I hope so. Another example comes from my interest in getting my Garage Door opener working. It’s a GD00Z-4 from linear. The thread on this is huge, 600+ posts

It describes using github versions of OZW and OZWCP and compiling your own copy of HASS. I really want to get this device working but I don’t know if I have the time to learn how to hack HASS at such a deep level.