Configuration.yaml file does not have Homeassistant Config block

Hi
Just installed HASS.IO on my Pi3b, when connecting to the configuration.yaml file, i dont see the homeassistant blck, i want to change my latitude, Longitude etc.
Below is the contents of my file.

Configure a default setup of Home Assistant (frontend, api, etc)

default_config:

Uncomment this if you are using SSL/TLS, running in Docker container, etc.

http:

base_url: example.duckdns.org:8123

Text to speech

tts:

• platform: google_translate

group: !include groups.yaml
automation: !include automations.yaml
script: !include scripts.yaml

You should be able to do that from the GUI now, but the reason it ISNā€™T there is because of default_config:

Where were the instructions that you followed to install and do the initial configuration of HA?

Please properly format your code when posting to the forum.

you can edit your post by performing hose same steps.

If you want to use one, just put it in yourself, but it is no longer necessary.

Thank you, added it and now working for me.

Iā€™m not sure why you pointed me to that link. ??

Iā€™m assuming heā€™s pointing you at the instructions he followed as you asked :man_shrugging:

FWIW I donā€™t have a homeassistant block in my config (27 lines long)
But I do have such a block in every package that requires customisation :crazy_face:

I also didnā€™t originally have a home assistant block in my config.

Which was confusing at the time when the instructions that I linked clearly state ā€¦

• Click the configuration.yaml file (in the /config/ folder) to load it into the main Configurator edit window.
  • Find the homeassistant: configuration block, which should be the first thing in configuration.yaml.

Clearly, Hassio currently works without that requirement. Iā€™d update the instructions myself if I felt I had the know how to do so without screwing it up. Still, confusing for new people nonetheless.

1 Like

The person who pointed me to the link wasnā€™t the same person (the OP) who I originally asked about the instructions.

And the thread is over 3 months old.

And they didnā€™t add any additional context to the reason for the postā€¦at the time at least. And I see now that they did.

So I wasnā€™t sure what the point was. So I asked.

Click the link at the top of the page. Fork it into your GitHub and edit it to submit a pull request.

The only stupid question is one unasked. :crazy_face:

Iā€™ll have to take a longer look later. Iā€™ve done what I think youā€™ve said and can get into the file to edit but cannot seem to get a pull request to work nor save the changes Iā€™ve made (in my forked version of the Hassio Github, which is what seems like I have to do to initiate a pull request). Everything seems to remain ā€˜unclickableā€™, particularly the ā€œcommit changesā€ button, once Iā€™m in the editor ā€¦ canā€™t see how to save the changes Iā€™m making.

Thanks for your help, hopefully I can contribute soon.

I am new to all this and have installed the configurator. I have also only got the same as what kieth originally posted in my configuration.yaml file.

The photo attached shows what everyone has standard when installed from all the videos. Any one got any help, been reading and watching anything I can to find some help to no avail

Help with what?

A default install of HA doesnā€™t have homeassistant: block or most of that in the picture on a new install anymore, there is an item called Default_config which loads a most of the components.

The homeassistant block including customize.yaml etc are classed as an advanced config item hence why its not in a new install to help new users.

Ok I think I understand what your saying. So you build your yaml file as required by yourself, or is there a draft you use and edit certain points like passwords and ips etc?

I have only seen videos that once they install the configurator, their yaml file was already populated like the photo. I guess I assumed that there was a problem somewhere with the install or an issue with the link between the pi and Hassio

The problem is actually relying on videos and out of date tutorials. The project moves so fast that 99% of the videos and tutorials out there are out of date within a month.

yes I do understand that. Where would you recommend a beginner gets information on setups and installs from?