Configure Climate Precision on Thermostat added via Homekit Controller Integration

I have been using my Ecobee3 Lite thermostat with Home Assistant for a couple of years now and it has been working great! The only downside is that the Ecobee thermostat does not have a local API so the integration utilizes Ecobee’s cloud developer API to communicate with the thermostat. This means that when my internet connection is down, so is Home Assistant’s connection to the thermostat.

I just realized today that Home Assistant has a Homekit Controller Integration that allows me to locally control Homekit enabled devices. Since the Ecobee3 Lite is Homekit enabled I set it up and it works perfectly, even after disconnecting my modem.

One difference is that this approach no longer creates a temperature and humidity sensor for me to use separately in HA, which is ok, I can use the attributes on the Climate entity to retrieve those values. The thing I don’t have is 0.1 degree Fahrenheit precision that the standard Integration sensor provided.

According to the Climate entity documentation there is a “precision” property that by default uses the temperature unit to determine the precision (0.1 for Celsius and 1.0 for Fahrenheit)(https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/core/entity/climate)

With that said, my main question is how do I go about configuring the “precision” setting on an entity that can only be configured using the integration UI? Or is it possible to use configuration.yaml to set up a Homekit Controller entity?

Please let me know if anything about this is unclear or needs more explanation.

Thanks so much for any help anyone can give with this!

Hey @jgoakley, did you ever figure this out? I’m brand new to Home Assistant and have the same exact hardware and question.

Thanks

Nope, I did a lot of poking around in the /config/.storage folder which seems to store the configuration for the components that are set up via the integrations page. I found the thermostat entry in the core.config_entries file and attempted to set the precision value there but I did not have any success in getting it to use the value I entered so I do not believe that is the correct approach.

If you are able to figure it out please let me know. I may take another try at it to see if there is something I missed.

Thanks!

Thanks for the update. I plan to continue digging around too. I’m new to Home Assistant so I’ll probably break stuff before figuring anything out. Not sure if you also have an Ecobee sensor but mine (which is paired to this the thermostat and in the same room) shows the temperature with a single decimal so it seems like it should possible by manipulating code somewhere. In the meantime, I created a min/max sensor that takes the mean for the Ecobee sendor via HK and the Ecobee climate temp. This gets me a little closer.