Configure Garage Opener Using Shelly 1 and Reed Switch

I’ve used the guides provided by dfrap (Shelly 1 Garage Door Controller) along with other examples I found on the internet and in the OP’s links. My current wiring for 12 VDC is hot go into (+) while ground is (-). In addition, one wire coming out of Reed Switch is connected to ground (-) while the other connected to SW terminal. The I/O terminals are then connected to the Garage switch. Everything seems to work as expected; except, when the relay switch comes into contact with the magnet, it triggers the relay. For example when I close the garage from Home Assistant app, the circuit shorts the I/O terminals on the Shelly relay and moves the garage door to a closed position where the reed switch magnets line up. When the magnets line up, it shorts the I/O terminals which then opens the garage back up.

I suspect this is a wiring issue but I don’t see how else I could have wired it differently. Is there something I can change in the configuration or automation file so that the relay switch doesn’t trigger the I/O relay on the Shelly when it’s closed?

Configuration.yaml

cover:
  - platform: mqtt
    name: "Garage Door"
    position_topic: "shellies/shelly1-XXXX/input/0"
    command_topic: "shellies/shelly1-XXXX/relay/0/command"
    availability_topic: "shellies/shelly1-XXXX/online"
    retain: false
    payload_open: "on"
    payload_close:  "on"
    payload_stop: "on"
    position_open: 0
    position_closed: 1
    payload_available: "true"
    payload_not_available: "false"

Automation.yaml

- id: 'mqtt_shell_announce'
  alias: Shelly Sync at HA Start
  trigger:
  - platform: homeassistant
    event: start
  action:
  - delay: 00:00:20
  - service: mqtt.publish
    data:
      topic: shellies/command
      payload: announce
- id: 'mqtt_garage_door_status'
  alias: MQTT Garage Door Status
  trigger:
    entity_id: cover.garage_door
    platform: state
    to: open
  action:
    service: notify.notify
    data:
      title: "Garage Status"
1 Like

should point down the right path

1 Like

Very sorry I mislead you. The + goes to L and the - goes to N. See:
https://shelly.cloud/support/knowledge-base/shelly-1/

Once you switch the power leads, it should be fine. My picture shows the actual connection. The red + line should be on the outside for DC power. I fixed my description.

Thank you guys! I really appreciate it.

@dfrap, no worries at all. Thanks for sharing your project which gave me the confident to start on mine. I’ve been procrastinating. I think you had it right the first time. For 12 VDC, you need to wire the (+) to N (+) and (-) to the L (-) of the Shelly. I swapped that around for quick second and could smell something cooking. Luckily it was just warming up and I’d unplugged it. If it wasn’t 110V, could be quite a disaster.

@myle, your video hit it right at the nail. I had to check the settings “Detached Switch - Set Shelly device to be in “Detached” switch mode - switch is separated from the relays,” in the Shelly/Settings app to make it work. I don’t know how I’d missed his videos.